Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Returning to college after dropping out

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Next week I return to college to attempt to complete a course I dropped out of a few years back because of mental health difficulties.
    I've had depression for the last 5 years & have self harm in the past.
    Last time at college, the college feared for my safety & I was forced to take a few months out of my course. By the time I returned, I was too far behind & ended up dropping out not long after my return.

2 years on & im hoping to go back and complete what I never got finished.
    My depression has improved a little & ive been seeing a psychologist regularly for the past year.
    However my concern is that the urge to self-harm will increase with the stresses of studying!
    I really want to return & prove to myself that I can do it but I need to keep this under control.

I know the simple answer to most people would be 'just don't do it'.
    And I wish it was as easy as that!
    Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nic5)
    Hi all,

Next week I return to college to attempt to complete a course I dropped out of a few years back because of mental health difficulties.
    I've had depression for the last 5 years & have self harm in the past.
    Last time at college, the college feared for my safety & I was forced to take a few months out of my course. By the time I returned, I was too far behind & ended up dropping out not long after my return.

2 years on & im hoping to go back and complete what I never got finished.
    My depression has improved a little & ive been seeing a psychologist regularly for the past year.
    However my concern is that the urge to self-harm will increase with the stresses of studying!
    I really want to return & prove to myself that I can do it but I need to keep this under control.

I know the simple answer to most people would be 'just don't do it'.
    And I wish it was as easy as that!
    Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Sorry for the late reply, think it's only just back on the forum! Have you discussed with your psychologist ways to help you cope with going back again? Same with your GP and any other health professionals you might be in contact with. Talk to your college too and make sure they know what's going on- it's far easier to explain now than when you're in crisis/anything else and there may be things you can do to help you. In general, try and remember that health comes first and keep your sleep, food, exercise etc regular as these can make a big difference. Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.