Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I would love to be an air hostess. Its my dream to travel the world =]
    but how do i go about this?
    Im going into my second year of 6th form so what can i do in uni?
    is there certain requirements you must have like a certain height and weight?
    help??

ReputationRep:
    Anything that would involve with travelling like a travel and tourism course? or a hnd course? that what some people would do if they want to be a air hostess... lol

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_attendant

ReputationRep:
    There is a minimum height and probably a max weight too.

As long as you are tall and slim, you'll be fine :p:

ReputationRep:
    Look at the different airlines websites in which you would like to work for, and see what qualifications and height/weight requirements are required. If its not on there they should have a phone number to ring. But I would guess that qualifiations in travel/ tourism/ languages etc would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Might sound daft but have you considered the RAF? You can join as a Steward and apply for duties as an air steward.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was interested in this so I might be able to give you a few ideas. You have to be a minimum of 212 cms to be a Flight Attendant (FA) for Emirates. Obviously overweight people are not counted. You need to be 21 to work for Emirates and maybe other world carriers. So getting that degree would be useful although you could do without it if you want to start at 18 which you maybe can at budget carriers in the UK.

If you're really interested try asking the guys at this aviation forum:

www.pprune.org and look for the flight attendants section where they ave info for a lot of airlines. You can also look at the websites for carious airlines.

If you need any other information, just PM.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who went to an airport and asked about them, as airports haev job centres, and now he is flying with Virgin!! (even as we speak lol)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there are particular courses for cabin crew such as this one:

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/sc/leisure/2/4737/

You could try to find a college offering a course like this which would fit in with your timetable at 6th form. I guess you'd have to find somewhere offering the course as a stand alone rather than as an add on to a travel and tourism course. Private training companies offer cabin crew courses but in this case there would be fees to pay and most likely the training would be full time for a short duration. I don't think you'd get to see much of the world as cabin crew on European routes as aircraft turn around times are short so it may be best to look at airlines which fly to worldwide destinations.

If you decide that travel and tourism in general is for you then you could look into studying for a degree in the subject but when applying I would avoid saying that you want to be an air hostess. Anyway, IMHO cabin crew need customer service, teamwork and presentation skills, languages, an ability to swim, plus a knowledge of travel geography could help. Also, find out about aircraft simulators and whether or not cc training is offered for a particular type of aircraft.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabso1)
    Well, I was interested in this so I might be able to give you a few ideas. You have to be a minimum of 212 cms to be a Flight Attendant (FA) for Emirates. Obviously overweight people are not counted. You need to be 21 to work for Emirates and maybe other world carriers. So getting that degree would be useful although you could do without it if you want to start at 18 which you maybe can at budget carriers in the UK.

If you're really interested try asking the guys at this aviation forum:

www.pprune.org and look for the flight attendants section where they ave info for a lot of airlines. You can also look at the websites for carious airlines.

If you need any other information, just PM.
    212cm is like... 6 foot 9? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockworkMargaret)
    212cm is like... 6 foot 9? :rolleyes:
    Cut me some slack, an obvious typo. And you resurrected a 1.5 year old thread to tell me that?

I think it's around 160 CM.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.