IB Student wanting to study CS in uni wants to know what her options are

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    hi! ok, here's the scoop:

im in ib2. studying HL computer science, ITGS, and english language/lit.

SL ab initio french, math and history.

for IGCSEs i took history, business, art, biology, chemistry, english lang, english lit, foreign arabic, and math, and i got 5A*s, 3As and a B-- not respectively.

i did NOT take physics in IG, and i did NOT take physics this year. i did NOT take higher level math, and i did NOT take a science other than computer science. i want to study computer science in uni though! so i tailored my courses to fit that. i was under the impression that if i take these classes, i can study computer science in the US and get a computer engineering/software engineering degree.

now heres my problem: all the ivy leagues i want to apply to and all the unis(cornell, carnegie mellon, cal tech, MIT) REQUIRE 2 SAT subject tests and one of them has to be a science.

the only science tests that the SAT offers are physics, biology and chem. because i didnt take any of those @ an IB level, im screwed! i cant take any of them and reasonably get a score that could get me into a good school.

i discovered that i can apply to study computer science at cornell if i take it as an Art rather than an engineering degree. however, what are the drawbacks to this?

and is there any way i can go around this to apply to an ivy league? it just seems really ridiculous that id need to have an advanced knowledge in chemistry, biology or physics in order to study the one field of science that has nothing to do with any of them. i understand i can combine the 3 main sciences with CS to make for a unique major but since i want to study CS in its purest form, i dont understand why there are so many loopholes that require physics..

AND: if i get into cornell to study CS as a arts degree, can i change my major type to an engineering one if i take the right courses? or can i even study them in tandem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanalei)
    AND: if i get into cornell to study CS as a arts degree, can i change my major type to an engineering one if i take the right courses? or can i even study them in tandem?
    you can't get 2 degrees in CS from 2 different colleges within Cornell, if that's what you're asking.

Switching between the 2 colleges for CS (A&S <-> Eng), from what I've seen, isn't too difficult however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    you can't get 2 degrees in CS from 2 different colleges within Cornell, if that's what you're asking.

Switching between the 2 colleges for CS (A&S <-> Eng), from what I've seen, isn't too difficult however.
    You are in Cornell right? What is your stats and what are you currently studying?

Also, for Ivies, I think Subject tests are required for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    the only science tests that the SAT offers are physics, biology and chem. because i didnt take any of those @ an IB level, im screwed! i cant take any of them and reasonably get a score that could get me into a good school.
    Best bet is just cramming SAT II BIO. PHY and CHEM will require a bit more conceptual understanding of things like right hand rule/orbital shells in order to perform well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overses)
    You are in Cornell right? What is your stats and what are you currently studying?

Also, for Ivies, I think Subject tests are required for the OP.
    engineering. Rather not say stats although they're pretty much what you might expect from an international (mind you, nothing crazy on an international level in terms of ECAs)

ReputationRep:
    For US schools it is not that important to take SAT IIs related to what you want to study. Just take SAT IIs in the 3 subjects you can score best in. The SAT IIs are also not as important for international students with A-levels or IBs than US students who have less other subject test scores.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.