Tonsillitis

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give suggestions to relieve the pain of tonsillitis. I was tired all last week and had back pain. Then on Friday I became hoarse but assumed it was nothing then on Sunday I woke up with a swelling in my throat by Sunday night I was in bad pain. Went to the doctor Monday morning to find out I have tonsillitis. I was given Keral 25mg granules and calvepen (penicillin antibiotic). I take these 3 times a day and can take paracetomol in between. But I am not getting any relief at all. I actually feel worse today like my tonsils are more blistered and feel like they're on fire. I tried eating ice cream but I'm so nauseous I can't take a lot and it doesn't do much. I've also tried ice cubes(sucking on them and putting some near my throat like an ice pack) but again no relief!! I was gargling salt and water before I went to the doctor but it just made me feel worse. Is there anything I could do to relieve this pain?? Any suggestions at all I am in agony !!!😣😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Only suggestion would be to swap the paracetamol for 8/500 co-codamol which you can buy over the counter.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of members of my family are allergic to codeine and just reading about those they have it ! So I'm a bit hesitant taking them !! 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightAngel93)
    A lot of members of my family are allergic to codeine and just reading about those they have it ! So I'm a bit hesitant taking them !! 😕
    Specific allergies don't run in families. But some people metabolise codeine differently. Some people subsequently don't get on well with it and get nausea. This is a minority though, and there's only one way to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Specific allergies don't run in families. But some people metabolise codeine differently. Some people subsequently don't get on well with it and get nausea. This is a minority though, and there's only one way to find out.
    That's true!! I just dread being more sick than what I am!! But you're right I might give it a try!! Thank you for the advice !!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.