Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Tonsillitis Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give suggestions to relieve the pain of tonsillitis. I was tired all last week and had back pain. Then on Friday I became hoarse but assumed it was nothing then on Sunday I woke up with a swelling in my throat by Sunday night I was in bad pain. Went to the doctor Monday morning to find out I have tonsillitis. I was given Keral 25mg granules and calvepen (penicillin antibiotic). I take these 3 times a day and can take paracetomol in between. But I am not getting any relief at all. I actually feel worse today like my tonsils are more blistered and feel like they're on fire. I tried eating ice cream but I'm so nauseous I can't take a lot and it doesn't do much. I've also tried ice cubes(sucking on them and putting some near my throat like an ice pack) but again no relief!! I was gargling salt and water before I went to the doctor but it just made me feel worse. Is there anything I could do to relieve this pain?? Any suggestions at all I am in agony !!!😣😭😭

ReputationRep:
    Only suggestion would be to swap the paracetamol for 8/500 co-codamol which you can buy over the counter.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of members of my family are allergic to codeine and just reading about those they have it ! So I'm a bit hesitant taking them !! 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightAngel93)
    A lot of members of my family are allergic to codeine and just reading about those they have it ! So I'm a bit hesitant taking them !! 😕
    Specific allergies don't run in families. But some people metabolise codeine differently. Some people subsequently don't get on well with it and get nausea. This is a minority though, and there's only one way to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Specific allergies don't run in families. But some people metabolise codeine differently. Some people subsequently don't get on well with it and get nausea. This is a minority though, and there's only one way to find out.
    That's true!! I just dread being more sick than what I am!! But you're right I might give it a try!! Thank you for the advice !!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.