Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Buying a car as a french student with UK driving license Watch

    • Thread Starter


    I am a French student on the verge of passing my driving test, in a month.

    I wonder what is the option considering this case: I'm living in England since October 2015. I am living approx. 8 miles from my Uni and I want to have a car for my daily commute. I will also be using it for short week-ends in England and sometimes to go back in France (holidays)

    Should I :
    - Buy a car in UK, make it insured in UK and bring it back to France during Holidays?
    - Buy a car in France, make it insured in France etc.

    By the way, regarding my usage, which car model would you suggest me, considering my budget is £1500-2000 just for the car, and which mileage should I be looking for?

    Car insurance are cheaper in France but I don't know If I'll have to pay more if I drive in UK with a car insured in France.

    Best regards,

    These links may be useful - and

    It seems to me like you can use your car while you're a student, but you have to have proof that you're a student if you're stopped by the police (but I'm not a legal expert or anything, so perhaps you'd be better off asking somebody who is)
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.