Applying to oxbridge medicine during a gap year

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Now that I've done my A2s, do they look at your application differently? I got 4 rejections after 4 interviews last year, including one from Cambridge, mainly due to my terrible interview skills, which I'm going to work hard on (although I thought my Cambridge one was alright). I just want to know if it's worth a shot, as I don't want to waste one of my 4 options on a uni I don't have a good chance at.
    What are my chances?

A2s: Chemistry - A*, Biology A*, Maths - A, Geography - B
    EPQ: A* (wrote it on a kind of cancer therapy)
    I did do all of the above whilst do around 1.5 hours of rehab a night as I'd had knee surgery, so would they consider that as I know that B doesn't look good

AS: Chemistry - A, Biology - A, Maths - A, Geography - A (About 94% ums average I think)
    GCSEs: 6A*s (sciences, maths, history, geography), 2As (Englishes), 1B (Art)

Personal statement and work experience you'll just have to take my word on it that they're good. I've got long-term volunteering, hospital work experience and all that. My BMAT wasn't great last year (4.7, 4.7, 3.5A), so I would need to work on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boople)
    Now that I've done my A2s, do they look at your application differently? I got 4 rejections after 4 interviews last year, including one from Cambridge, mainly due to my terrible interview skills, which I'm going to work hard on (although I thought my Cambridge one was alright). I just want to know if it's worth a shot, as I don't want to waste one of my 4 options on a uni I don't have a good chance at.
    What are my chances?

A2s: Chemistry - A*, Biology A*, Maths - A, Geography - B
    EPQ: A* (wrote it on a kind of cancer therapy)
    I did do all of the above whilst do around 1.5 hours of rehab a night as I'd had knee surgery, so would they consider that as I know that B doesn't look good

AS: Chemistry - A, Biology - A, Maths - A, Geography - A (About 94% ums average I think)
    GCSEs: 6A*s (sciences, maths, history, geography), 2As (Englishes), 1B (Art)

Personal statement and work experience you'll just have to take my word on it that they're good. I've got long-term volunteering, hospital work experience and all that. My BMAT wasn't great last year (4.7, 4.7, 3.5A), so I would need to work on that.
    Well if it's oxbridge you will most likely receive a triple offer such as "A*AA", with an A* most likely in the subject you've chosen for university meaning your A*A*A is fine. The only problem I can see is your GCSE'S, altough they consist of A*'s and A's the amount is not the highest, most applicants do 10 GCSE'S +

ReputationRep:
    You've met their standard offer, and you can write about your medical/rehab issues on the SAQ so they may take it into account. I wouldn't recommend re-applying to the same college, but don't think it would be totally unreasonable to apply to Cambridge again. For your other unis, if you're planning to reapply to the same ones check whether they will accept reapplicants who they have previously interviewed, as some places won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafsimons)
    Well if it's oxbridge you will most likely receive a triple offer such as "A*AA", with an A* most likely in the subject you've chosen for university meaning your A*A*A is fine. The only problem I can see is your GCSE'S, altough they consist of A*'s and A's the amount is not the highest, most applicants do 10 GCSE'S +
    Yeah my GCSEs were the reason I applied to Cambridge last year over oxford, especially when taking into account my strong AS ums. Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to prevent a reapplication that I can see.

The BMAT would have been a big factor in your rejection last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You've met their standard offer, and you can write about your medical/rehab issues on the SAQ so they may take it into account. I wouldn't recommend re-applying to the same college, but don't think it would be totally unreasonable to apply to Cambridge again. For your other unis, if you're planning to reapply to the same ones check whether they will accept reapplicants who they have previously interviewed, as some places won't.
    Thanks for your reply! I think I might also ask my references to write a bit about my knee problems as well. For my other unis I think I'll apply to different ones for the most part

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to hear what other people thought about raising the knee issue as mitigating circumstances. Personally, I'd prefer that an applicant didn't make a big deal about this as it's not very convincing by itself as a mitigating factor. I would just let your referees mention this but I don't think it's "big enough" to bring up yourself and might sound as if you're scrabbling around for excuses. The kind of person who isn't impressed by A*A*AB isn't likely to be softened by the fact that you needed a knee operation around exam time. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    I'd be interested to hear what other people thought about raising the knee issue as mitigating circumstances. Personally, I'd prefer that an applicant didn't make a big deal about this as it's not very convincing by itself as a mitigating factor. I would just let your referees mention this but I don't think it's "big enough" to bring up yourself and might sound as if you're scrabbling around for excuses. The kind of person who isn't impressed by A*A*AB isn't likely to be softened by the fact that you needed a knee operation around exam time. Just a thought.
    Yeah I didn't want to make a huge deal out of it as I really don't like making excuses. At most I was going to get my referees to mention it, or mention it in my SAQ if I do apply to cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Nothing to prevent a reapplication that I can see.

The BMAT would have been a big factor in your rejection last year.
    Yes my BMAT was way too low, and perhaps my interview was just average, although I've no way of knowing this

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.