The Student Room Group

College and Sixth Form

Hi, I don't know if I should go to College to do my A-Levels or stay in Sixth Form?

Anyone know what to do?
Reply 1
Original post by adam_4531
Hi, I don't know if I should go to College to do my A-Levels or stay in Sixth Form?

Anyone know what to do?

It's completely up to you, and depends where you're looking at. There are general differences between colleges and sixth forms, but this doesn't mean that all colleges and sixth forms will be like their stereotypes. You might also be influenced by where your friends are going, or how long the journey time would be.
Original post by adam_4531

Anyone know what to do?

The decision is up to you ultimately.

What I would recommend you do is to compare the teachings of the two; how dedicated are the teachers in both places, do both places offer the same amount of subjects you wish to study? Usually there's some restriction to Sixth Forms and subject choice as often subject choices change boxes/clash with other subjects you wish to do and often are hold to the popularity of whether students pick those subjects.

College is usually more laid back and less formal - calling teachers by their first names, you don't have to come in; say if you had a lesson 3rd period; at sixth forms you still have to come in on the mornings because attendance applies to all year groups. But at college, it's more casual and you don't need to rock up to college until you have that lesson.

If you struggle with motivating yourself, I say stick to sixth form as most teachers will chase you up, but at college I've heard numerous people say teachers at colleges aren't concerned about your attendance or punctuality.

Quick Reply

Latest