The Student Room Group

Side-effects of Microgynon 30? Alternative pills?

Hi, so I started the pill about a year ago. Microgynon 30 was suggested, so I just thought I'd try it out. On the one hand, it's been good. No accidents, periods have been regular, lighter and I don't get many stomach cramps anymore. However, I have noticed a number of changes. I get headaches far more frequently (feels like tension often in temples), sometimes around ovulation nearly every other day. I feel a lot more emotionally unstable, I've been struggling with symptoms of depression, lack of motivation and PMS. Furthermore, increased appetite (good in a way because my eating habits were poor), weight gain of almost 2 stone in a year (not good since I'm now verging overweight), tender breasts near ovulation, decline in sex drive and nausea.
What experiences have you had with this pill or others? Do you think I should try change to a different pill? Any recommendations?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Opulent
Hi, so I started the pill about a year ago. Microgynon 30 was suggested, so I just thought I'd try it out. On the one hand, it's been good. No accidents, periods have been regular, lighter and I don't get many stomach cramps anymore. However, I have noticed a number of changes. I get headaches far more frequently (feels like tension often in temples), sometimes around ovulation nearly every other day. I feel a lot more emotionally unstable, I've been struggling with symptoms of depression, lack of motivation and PMS. Furthermore, increased appetite (good in a way because my eating habits were poor), weight gain of almost 2 stone in a year (not good since I'm now verging overweight), tender breasts near ovulation, decline in sex drive and nausea.
What experiences have you had with this pill or others? Do you think I should try change to a different pill? Any recommendations?

I did experience headaches and nausea on that pill, and it increased my blood pressure quite significantly so was told to stop taking it. Go speak to a doctor and mention those side effects and it's likely they could suggest something else to try as that's a lot of potential side effects you are experiencing.
Original post by Opulent

Here are the problems I found with the pill:

Pelvic pain, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, PMS, acne, weight change, loss in sex drive, lack of lubrication ...it just goes on and on and on.

I went to my Dr about changing the brand of pill and to be honest this did nothing to me. However, I'd say it's worth a try because our bodies are different after all.

What did help me in the end was taking a 6 month break off of the pill and then went back on it again. After the wee detox my body was fine!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest