The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
You might get one, though if you are applying for Bio Nat Sci I would think it's unlikely. I assume you've met the standard offer already?

Yeah I have. So if I get an offer it will just be unconditional?
Original post by k.russell
Yeah I have. So if I get an offer it will just be unconditional?

I think it's likely but if you still have outstanding qualifications then the college might ask you to achieve a certain grade.
I think it's likely but if you still have outstanding qualifications then the college might ask you to achieve a certain grade.

ok thanks! don't know why I am dithering over this because if I get any sort of offer I'll be over the moon.
Good luck with your new job :smile:
Original post by k.russell
ok thanks! don't know why I am dithering over this because if I get any sort of offer I'll be over the moon.
Good luck with your new job :smile:

Thanks very much! :smile: It's not unusual to worry about a Cambridge application! :wink:
Hi Dr. Spencer,

I'm a post-IB applicant for History who scored 41 in the IB with 776 (History, French, English literature) at Higher Level. I was wondering what my chances would be of getting an interview? (Of course, taking into account my performance in the HAA)

Thank you!
Original post by ThePunkReturns
Hi Dr. Spencer,

I'm a post-IB applicant for History who scored 41 in the IB with 776 (History, French, English literature) at Higher Level. I was wondering what my chances would be of getting an interview? (Of course, taking into account my performance in the HAA)

Thank you!

Hello and thanks for your question. With 776 achieved at HL then you should get an interview. You might want to check with individual colleges as some do ask for 42 points as their standard for he IB.
Hello.
I am Cypriot applicant applying for computer science. I have done 3 A Levels in Maths,Further Maths and Physics all with grade A* but they were not completed in the same year. I also have the Cypriot Apolytirion with grade 18.1/20. How much value do you put in the Apolytirion and how much of a problem will it be that my A levels were not completed in the same year?
Thank you.
Hello and thanks for your question. With 776 achieved at HL then you should get an interview. You might want to check with individual colleges as some do ask for 42 points as their standard for he IB.

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll look at what each college is asking for :smile:
Original post by AlexFrangos
Hello.
I am Cypriot applicant applying for computer science. I have done 3 A Levels in Maths,Further Maths and Physics all with grade A* but they were not completed in the same year. I also have the Cypriot Apolytirion with grade 18.1/20. How much value do you put in the Apolytirion and how much of a problem will it be that my A levels were not completed in the same year?
Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your question. It sort of depends on how you did those three A Levels. If they were done in Year 12 (maths) and Year 13 (FM and Physics) then it's not a problem and not that unusual. If you did it in a different way then it might be seen as a problem but I'd need to know more details before saying for sure.

We do value the Apolytirion but not as much as A Levels and we will be looking more closely at them than at your Apolytirion scores.
Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I will definitely try my best, but will I be disadvantaged compared to other economics applicants as I am not so familiar with the economic history/issues in the UK/EU?

With average UMS 96%, do you think I will have the chance of getting an offer even if I am 'average' in the admission assessment and interview?

Moreover, I am planning to apply for a scholarship at Cambridge. Will applying for the scholarship lower my chance of receiving an offer? And will the college still consider me even I was rejected by the scholarship committee?

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions. Thank you for answering my queries.

Hello and thank you for your questions. Well done on your results thus far, you will certainly be strong on paper. Try not to worry too much about the assessment and the interview. Yes, they are important but you should go into them with the confidence of a strong paper application. You have already achieved the necessary IELTS score so the assessment and interview will hopefully not pose too much of a problem in terms of your English.

Obviously the interview and assessment are primarily academic exercises but they do offer us an opportunity to ensure that your English is of sufficient quality to undertake the course.

It's impossible to say exactly how important the interviews and assessment will be because it will be different for each candidate. The important thing is that the whole application is assessed before a decision is made.
Original post by Frenchspanish101
Hi! Thanks for creating this thread!
I'm applying to study MML (French and Spanish post A-level)
In my AS I got AAA(French, Spanish and Politics) and B in History (extenuating circumstances)
I'm just on here as my two languages are unreformed so I have UMS - 99% in French so really happy but only 83% in Spanish :-( it was one of 2 As out of a huge class and my college has applied to have all orals remarked (long story).. Shall I put on my SAQ that the school is having the orals remoderated, should I get my teacher to put it in the reference or do I not mention it?
Thanks for your help :-)

Hi, we seem to be in a really similar situation :smile: I'm applying for MML, I have AAAB too (AAA French, Eng Lit and History, and B Politics :/ ), and 99% UMS in French, but my only other unreformed subject is my worst haha. 97% raw marks in my English Lit too (no UMS) which I want to mention somewhere. Only A in my class, excluding a native speaker who doesn't actually turn up to class (but doesn't mean you have perfect grammar as I beat her in the exam!) I'm applying for French and ab initio Italian at Newnham. Have you decided on a college?
(edited 7 years ago)
If you are retaking A Levels, first we'd need to know why you are retaking as the vast majority of successful candidates have achieved or exceeded the offer in two years of A Level study. If you have met the STEP offer before you apply then you'll be in a much stronger position than having yet to do it.

I don't really have a good reason except I really want to give Cambridge a shot. I didn't really take my A levels seriously at the time and really regret it because I know I am capable of achieving the highest grades (e.g. I performed really well on olympiads when I actually studied for them, unfortunately I didn't do the same with my A levels thinking that good olympiad performance would compensate in the eyes of admissions tutors which is not the case apparently). The reason I can't go to uni is for religious reasons of living on interest-based loans being not allowed, so at the moment I can only apply to unis that give enough financial support for living purposes (food/accommodation), and being a mature student Cambridge has one of the highest bursaries (unfortunately my family is quite poor so I won't be able to get any help from them). Is this a good enough reason to retake my A levels and reapply, or could I be rejected based on it?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by profileradian
Thanks for your reply and encouragement. I will definitely try my best, but will I be disadvantaged compared to other economics applicants as I am not so familiar with the economic history/issues in the UK/EU?

With average UMS 96%, do you think I will have the chance of getting an offer even if I am 'average' in the admission assessment and interview?

Moreover, I am planning to apply for a scholarship at Cambridge. Will applying for the scholarship lower my chance of receiving an offer? And will the college still consider me even I was rejected by the scholarship committee?

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions. Thank you for answering my queries.

With a 96% average then you will be in a good position. Why would applying for a scholarship lower your chance of an offer? Which scholarship is it and yes candidates who are unsuccessful for scholarships are often successful in getting an offer.

You don't need to know Economic history of Britain or the EU - many students apply without knowledge or background in this. It would be worth thinking about readily visible issues in Economics at the moment, Brexit and the EU being one, the US presidential election being another, the future of the Chinese economy a third. You don;t have to know everything about them but some sign that you have at least thought about significant issues facing the global economy would be a good thing.
Reply 153
This is slightly off topic so I apologize in advance, But as an experienced AT, have you have ever regretted any decisions e.g. pooling a candidate who has gone on to do really well at another college? If so, at what point (e.g. after A Level results are released) do you normally realize "the one that got away?" :tongue:
Original post by sedqr
This is slightly off topic so I apologize in advance, But as an experienced AT, have you have ever regretted any decisions e.g. pooling a candidate who has gone on to do really well at another college? If so, at what point (e.g. after A Level results are released) do you normally realize "the one that got away?" :tongue:

Slightly related: I thought Trinity pooling this years Senior Wrangler to Churchill was pretty funny. :lol:
Reply 155
Original post by Zacken
Slightly related: I thought Trinity pooling this years Senior Wrangler to Churchill was pretty funny. :lol:

Calamitous lol :biggrin:
Original post by sedqr

Yes, though I don't tend to keep track of those who get picked up by other colleges (partly because there were a lot each year at Christ's and one can only do so for other colleges by checking the lists outside Senate House).

I've ended up teaching quite a few people that I've pooled to other colleges, which is a little odd sometimes but not normally (and often I don't even remember until they point it out as I interview a lot of people).

I regret more the decisions where I have admitted them and they have done badly or the ones where they don't get admitted at all, rather than the ones where they get taken by another college, because that's a good outcome.
Yes, though I don't tend to keep track of those who get picked up by other colleges (partly because there were a lot each year at Christ's and one can only do so for other colleges by checking the lists outside Senate House).

I've ended up teaching quite a few people that I've pooled to other colleges, which is a little odd sometimes but not normally (and often I don't even remember until they point it out as I interview a lot of people).

lol that's really awkward..........especially the latter. :tongue:

I regret more the decisions where I have admitted them and they have done badly or the ones where they don't get admitted at all, rather than the ones where they get taken by another college, because that's a good outcome.

This is what my daughter DoS told his students at their graduation dinner and I found it quite interesting. He said one of the questions he always asked himself when making a decision about a candidate was "Will he/she be good enough to get 2.1?" He said that's a sort of borderline standard/expectation he used when giving offer. (And hopefully he can close his farewell speech to his graduates every year by saying 'I'm glad I was right about all of you." :biggrin:)

Is it a sort of thing you ask yourself, too, as an AT/DoS?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello.
I am an international student and I want to study HSPS. I haven't done GCSE but have all the highest marks for all the subjects that I studied in my Russian School. My average UMS score is, however, much lower than I wish it were - 86%. I have A* predicted for Politics, Economics and Maths, but received a B for AS History and dropped it this year. How detrimental will this be on my application and do I even have a chance of getting an interview? What is the average UMS score of a successful HSPS applicant?
Thank you very much in advance!
Original post by pamplemousse.
Hi, we seem to be in a really similar situation :smile: I'm applying for MML, I have AAAB too (AAA French, Eng Lit and History, and B Politics :/ ), and 99% UMS in French, but my only other unreformed subject is my worst haha. 97% raw marks in my English Lit too (no UMS) which I want to mention somewhere. Only A in my class, excluding a native speaker who doesn't actually turn up to class (but doesn't mean you have perfect grammar as I beat her in the exam!) I'm applying for French and ab initio Italian at Newnham. Have you decided on a college?

That's so weird we are in the same situation! And I'm still torn between Queens and Sidney Sussex - any ideas?!

Latest

Trending

Trending