Real world programming frustration

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    When you've been programming and consulting for many years, or when you're just starting out in the real world, you will quickly find that programming can be agonizing; fixing other people's horribly written code, enduring bug-swamped programming/scripting languages such as Angular and Javascript that drive you mad, interdisciplinary communication problems during meetings, friend politics, scope restrictions, time constraints,..

Real world developers out there, you know what I mean!

Here are two videos to illustrate this frustration, if anyone's curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MticYPfFRp8

This is exactly the reason why I don't want to get a job in this.

ReputationRep:
    Aww its not that bad ok granted the ng-options is rediculous and the filter named filter wasn't the best idea :P

I've never needed providers and think of services as constructor functions, tbh just use a factory. The fact they use the word service to refer to both services and factorys it pretty mad nevermind their services arn't what we as devs conventionally think of as services! we immediatly think 'web service' whilst the Angular service is probably more similar to 'services' as defined by Domain Driven Design or perhaps even models.

Anyway WebApps is the future embrace it ok maybe it is that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Aww its not that bad ok granted the ng-options is rediculous and the filter named filter wasn't the best idea :P

I've never needed providers and think of services as constructor functions, tbh just use a factory. The fact they use the word service to refer to both services and factorys it pretty mad nevermind their services arn't what we as devs conventionally think of a services.

Anyway WebApps is the future embrace it ok maybe it is that bad.
    What about the scope interdependency bug? Those are for sure hair-pullers.

I've used all of Angular 1 and I'm quite annoyed with it. Arbitrarily re-defining standards is annoying to say the least.

I won't embrace the future. I'm an anti-future person. I'm an old school coder who prefers to write coherent, clean code rather than to implement the latest, bug-ridden flashy library hype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 571122)
    What about the scope interdependency bug? Those are for sure hair-pullers.

I've used all of Angular 1 and I'm quite annoyed with it. Arbitrarily re-defining standards is annoying to say the least.

I won't embrace the future. I'm an anti-future person. I'm an old school coder who prefers to write coherent, clean code rather than to implement the latest, bug-ridden flashy library hype.
    IMO AngularJs is good for JS enabling much easier development of web apps but the real problem is javascript itself is just objectively bad and not conducive to clean code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    IMO AngularJs is good for JS enabling much easier development of web apps but the real problem is javascript itself is just objectively bad and not conducive to clean code.
    It's not easier development per sé, it's making it more cumbersome than it already is, not to mention that AngularJS hides actual JS errors that are critical for debugging, unless you really dig deep into the JS engine, which isn't neither practical nor efficient.

In a way you are right, it's yet another one of those hype languages trying to make it easier for the new devs on the block.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.