The Student Room Group

Can she recover from an AS E to A A/B

Hi, I just come across TSR and have a query for regarding my daughter. She had a tough year (family things) and didn't do well in her AS's especially RS . School doesn't what her to continue but to take another AS. I need to give her every opportunity of options I can, and she has found an independent college to take an intensive A English. So it would mean studying 3 A's and 1 AS. She need to focus and work, but the English is possible. She wasn't able to take it as a 4th A Level due to timetable clashes, but got an A in GCSE.

Papers are being sent to be remarked, and school have now reconsidered their position and she able to now take the class, question is can she recover her mark from the AS to get an A or B in the A level. If not then maybe she's best to focus on the new A level?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by springes
Hi, I just come across TSR and have a query for regarding my daughter. She had a tough year (family things) and didn't do well in her AS's especially RS . School doesn't what her to continue but to take another AS. I need to give her every opportunity of options I can, and she has found an independent college to take an intensive A English. So it would mean studying 3 A's and 1 AS. She need to focus and work, but the English is possible. She wasn't able to take it as a 4th A Level due to timetable clashes, but got an A in GCSE.

Papers are being sent to be remarked, and school have now reconsidered their position and she able to now take the class, question is can she recover her mark from the AS to get an A or B in the A level. If not then maybe she's best to focus on the new A level?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Either option will be difficult, so it depends which she prefers - she'll then be more motivated to do well. It might be slightly easier to retake the old subject, as she knows a bit of the syllabus - she's starting from the knowledge base of an E, rather than starting from nothing with the new subject.

If her only reason for doing badly was these family issues, it's possible she'll be able to put the work in to get good grades this year. However, some students use such problems as an excuse, for when they either don't want to put effort in or find the work too hard. If this is the case, she'll find it very difficult to do the harder A Level work as well as the additional work required to retake/start anew. It would be a good idea to discuss this with her, because otherwise either option could just be setting things up to fail.
Reply 2
Hi

Her remark has now come up to a D. But she feels she doesn't have the support of the school and how they have handled it has left a huge cloud of negativity around school and subject with her. Shes been very stressed and anxious on the whole thing, so I'm now trying to look at the positive. That she has the support, and school knowing how badly this has been dealt with will (I hope) be on her side.

I guess she has the possibility of doing the AS resit next year also, as well as the A so in itself an intensive with the benefit.

I've let her know that whatever the decision is I will support her, but that decision needs to be made with the knowledge that she going to work her heart out to achieve the grades she needs.

Quick Reply

Latest