A different way of applying? Watch

ObsidianExon
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I am currently about to start my second year of A-Levels, and would like to take a gap year before going to uni, and am not that partial to deferred entry.

Is it possible, for me not to apply for uni this year, and get all of my results e.g. all of my AS Results, and all of my A-Level results, and apply next year, with my results ready, then apply with all of these next year.

Is this possible, and surely, the application would then accept you based on your results and interview etc, rather than making you an offer, and saying you will need these required grades.

Sorry, i haven't been very clear, but would be very much obliged if someone could help.
lucylux
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yup that's possible! A few people at my sch have done it (mostly because they didn't get any offers or didn't get the ones they wanted) they're taking a year out and then applying next year. I guess it probably is easier as you'd get unconditional offers, however, you probably wouldn't get advice from your school/college about making an application next year as they'd have the people in the year below you to deal with so if that's what you plan to do, make sure you get the advice about applying before you leave!

Lucy
ObsidianExon
thank you very much! i really appreciate it! the main reason i am considering taking the gap year is because i am worried i will not get the offer i want this year, but when all my results are completed, i may have a much better chance.

Thank you very much for the advice also!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lucylux)
Yup that's possible! A few people at my sch have done it (mostly because they didn't get any offers or didn't get the ones they wanted) they're taking a year out and then applying next year. I guess it probably is easier as you'd get unconditional offers, however, you probably wouldn't get advice from your school/college about making an application next year as they'd have the people in the year below you to deal with so if that's what you plan to do, make sure you get the advice about applying before you leave!

Lucy
Most schools and colleges will be more than happy to help you with a post A level application. However, don't assume you won't get offers if you apply this year, you may surprise yourself. You can apply for a deferred place if you want to take a gap year in any case. If your AS grades are sound (and even if they aren't, you can always decline them if necessary) then there is no particular advantage in waiting to apply post A level - indeed it could be more risky to leave it until then because even with first class grades there are no guarantees that the unis you want will make you an offer. So, unless you are very unsure about which courses and/or unis you are interested in, there is a lot to gain and little to lose by applying in 2007, whether for entry in 2008 or in 2009.
ObsidianExon
what i am worried about is that i have 3 strong AS level subjects, and one very weak, which i wish i had not taken. With my results, i hope i will do well in my 3 strong subjects, however, i know i will do badly in my weak one.

I fear that with my weak subject result, i will not get the offer i want from the uni i want. My plan is to for the forthcoming year, added to my continued 3 A-Level sunjects, take another AS level subject to make up for my weak one this year. Then, if everything goes to plan, i will have an all strong AS result, and also an all strong A Level result.....as opposed to a weak AS Result, and a strong A Level result.

Does this make sense at all?
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What course/s and unis are you thinking of? I know someone who got offers for History at Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, and Queen Mary with a D at AS economics (which he absolutely hated). He was rejected by Durham (most likely because he didn't have the requisite million A* grades) and Cambridge. His GCSEs were solid without being brilliant.

The problem with doing another AS level is that it will distract you from the A2 studies - which are generally reckoned to be more demanding than AS - and you could end up with less good A2 results than you hoped for, which will be far more of a problem than a weak AS. The really competitive unis may not take much interest in a Year 13 AS level in any case.
ObsidianExon
well i am currently in the oxbridge system, hoping for either Oxford Cambridge or LSE. With my grades, i am hoping dearly to get my 3A's in my strong subject. But as for my weak, i honestly see it as B/C, which is not acceptable really. So i am hoping, that by replacing it with a new AS next year, i can get an A, resulting in 4A's.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know enough about it to know whether less than an A in your AS subject is a definite no-no for Oxbridge/LSE - it probably varies according to the course. What I do suspect however is that those places will not rate a Year 13 AS level - even if an A grade - any better, of itself, and you definitely do not want to run the risk of messing up the AAA in your A2s. A really good gap year plan/relevant work experience may do more to balance out a B/C in your AS from this year. And of course, it's always possible that you have done better than you fear - I would also make the point that "not getting an A" does not equal "doing badly". Every year people with strings of A*s at GCSE and straight As in AS/A2 get rejected from all three unis you mention, and people with "lesser" qualifications get in. It does depend on the course to an extent - for instance if you are applying for History at Oxford, the HAT is a major factor in whether you get called for interview or not. But even if you were to get the straight A grades you're aiming for, it doesn't guarantee anything as far as uni offers are concerned.
ObsidianExon
thank you very much. I will definitely take this on board. You are correct. I shall wait until i get my results before jumping into anything rash. If i do get a poor grade in my weak subject, i will look at my options then.

thank you vvery much.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Glad to be able to help!
airyfairy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I applied for history at Oxford this year with AAAC at AS and received an offer. I wasn't going to apply but a friend convinced me it would be funny (long story) so it would seem they can overlook one poor AS providing it isn't in the subject you are applying for. However I was predicted an A at A2 in the subject although the rest of my profile (GCSE's etc.) I wouldn't have thought to be particularly strong. So it is always worth a shot.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads