What is the definition of posh?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have multiple discussions with multiple people what they consider posh I had heard very different answers what is posh in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    Me
    Beat me to it :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    People from Hackney and Peckham

ReputationRep:
    The best Spice Girl

ReputationRep:
    Understanding that looking scruffy is infinitely posher than trying to look smart.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    The best Spice Girl
    I wanted serious answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I wanted serious answers.
    That's what comes to my mind, I'm from Canada We don't use that word and the only reason I know it is because of Victoria spice

ReputationRep:
    Someone who preferably lives in the south, had a degree at ox/cambridge and sends their kids to a prestigious private school. They also attended 'brunches' and go to the Epsom Derby.

or the queen, its always the queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I have multiple discussions with multiple people what they consider posh I had heard very different answers what is posh in your opinion?
    Someone who attends Oxbridge, has quite a lot of money and possibly a PPL. Probably will work as a high earning doctor/ lawyer/ businessman and drives a Jaguar. Kids go to private school as someone has already said.

ReputationRep:
    Having a cheese board with port wine as the third course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Having a cheese board with port wine as the third course
    How did you know I always do this? :hat2:

Cheese goes great with wine. Wine is sweet and cheese is salty. It's a wonderful pattern to my palate.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Your parents / parent has a decent, well paying, professional job. You grew up in a nice neighborhood. You didn't come from a single parent family (no dis on single parents that loved and took care of their kids), who was a drink and/or drug abuser, on a *****y council estate.

And you can talk properly, with good grammar and articulation. You don't talk like a ghetto wannabe gangster thug chav. Or have ridiculous visible tattoos. Or piercings Or that ****ing insane big ****ing loophole in the ear thing. Or kids in your teens. Or can't possible spend any time alone, or read a book, you need to be with your 'homies' every waking hour. If you not ****ing random hoes, to add to your STD collection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    Someone who preferably lives in the south, had a degree at ox/cambridge and sends their kids to a prestigious private school. They also attended 'brunches' and go to the Epsom Derby.

or the queen, its always the queen
    also
    anyone with anything monographed
    own red trousers
    anyone with a german made watch or one of top two tiers of swiss watches
    anyone who collects any form of alcohol for any reason (personal or investment)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm in my opinion someone posh doesn't necessarily mean they have lots of money however the usually do.

In my mind, being posh is usually just an insult to gentlemen. A gentleman dresses smart, act with honour and such. I do think being posh can most likely mean snobby as well though

ReputationRep:
    for the love of god.

cleaning up this mess bear with me

ReputationRep:
    43 posts later, we're nearly back at square one. Thread unlocked. Don't let it descend into ridiculous arguments again please. I need sleep. :bawling:

If you have an answer for OP, by all means please do answer them. If you don't, don't say anything. It's so much easier that way.

Also, please do not quote me asking what happened or where your posts went or if you think I was wrong for doing x y z, please go to AtCT (here!) instead.

Ty :heart:

ReputationRep:
    drinking with your pinky up

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.