GCSE Help

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    I finished my GCSEs back in June and I am now in year 12, but I would love to help any GCSE students if they have any problems or need any tips for certain exams. The subjects I did with exam boards will be listed below so if you're doing the same subject/s as I did and need some tips, feel free to send me a message or reply to this thread

Maths - Edexcel
    English Language - AQA
    English Literature - AQA
    Biology - OCR Gateway
    Chemistry - OCR Gateway
    Physics - OCR Gateway
    Geography - AQA
    Spanish - AQA
    French - AQA
    RE - Edexcell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trabajadora)
    I finished my GCSEs back in June and I am now in year 12, but I would love to help any GCSE students if they have any problems or need any tips for certain exams. The subjects I did with exam boards will be listed below so if you're doing the same subject/s as I did and need some tips, feel free to send me a message or reply to this thread

Maths - Edexcel
    English Language - AQA
    English Literature - AQA
    Biology - OCR Gateway
    Chemistry - OCR Gateway
    Physics - OCR Gateway
    Geography - AQA
    Spanish - AQA
    French - AQA
    RE - Edexcell
    How did you revise for maths? I'm having a bit of trouble remembering everything and it doesn't exactly help doing the new gcse.

ReputationRep:
    How did you answer Qs 2 and 4 in the English Lang exam? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissChameleon)
    How did you revise for maths? I'm having a bit of trouble remembering everything and it doesn't exactly help doing the new gcse.
    For maths the key thing is to just practise as much as you can. Print off past papers (I doesn't really matter if it's they're from the old spec, they're all pretty similar anyway http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers.html), complete them, go through the mark scheme and whatever topic you didn't do as well on, revise it. Also don't be afraid to ask your teacher to mark any extra work you've done, they'll be happy to see you're making the effort

I found Youtube videos very helpful too. If you go on and just type in ''GCSE maths'' there's hundreds of videos out there that have been made by teachers where they're going through topics and past paper questions.

Bitesize (http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z38pycw) is also really good.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For maths the key thing is to just practise as much as you can. Print off past papers (I doesn't really matter if it's they're from the old spec, they're all pretty similar anyway http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers.html), complete them, go through the mark scheme and whatever topic you didn't do as well on, revise it. Also don't be afraid to ask your teacher to mark any extra work you've done, they'll be happy to see you're making the effort

I found Youtube videos very helpful too. If you go on and just type in ''GCSE maths'' there's hundreds of videos out there that have been made by teachers where they're going through topics and past paper questions.

Bitesize (http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z38pycw) is also really good.

Good luck!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    How did you answer Qs 2 and 4 in the English Lang exam? X
    Question 2 is the headline and picture question and 4's the comparison question, right? Just making sure in case I give you any wrong information by accident

ReputationRep:
    How did you study for chemistry and physics?
    Im finding them difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeisgoodd)
    How did you study for chemistry and physics?
    Im finding them difficult
    I mainly used the CGP revision guides that were catered towards OCR. I read through a topic a day, made summarised notes from the book, did as many past paper questions as possible and read through the mark schemes and examiner reports to see what the common mistakes were. If you're on the same exam board that I was, I found these Youtube channels extremely helpful: https://www.youtube.com/user/GCSEChe...cher/playlists and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ2...Gijg/playlists. If you're not on the same board, I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of videos going through different topics by just typing in GCSE chemistry/physics with your exam board.

My main tip is (and this is applicable to all subjects) don't try and cram a lot of topics at once. Pick one and just read through it slowly, making sure you understand it all completely and do a few practise questions before moving on to the next. My biggest mistake during GCSEs was that if I didn't understand something, I would say to myself ''oh it's fine I'll just learn it a few weeks before the exam'' and by the time exams came around I still had a lot of topics to go over plus a load of other subjects to worry about.

Oh and if your school holds revision sessions I would definitely recommend that you go to as many as you can (unless you prefer studying on your own).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How did you revise for English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    How did you revise for English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For English lit I made sure that I knew the books pretty much inside out. I found a few quotes that I could link to different characters and/or themes, memorised them and then made essay plans for every question that I thought could come up and just memorised them too, I think I ended up with about 7 or 8 of them? This website was really good for making the plans: http://www.enotes.com/homework-help If you go on that and just type in book/s you're doing or the characters/themes etc. you can find some really good quotes and characters analyses that you can expand on yourself with your own ideas (make sure you use the search bar on the bottom right, not the top one).

English language was a case of just doing as many practise questions as possible. Reading the mark schemes and examiner reports will really help too as you'll be able to clearly see what you should and shouldn't do and what the common mistakes are.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For English lit I made sure that I knew the books pretty much inside out. I found a few quotes that I could link to different characters and/or themes, memorised them and then made essay plans for every question that I thought could come up and just memorised them too, I think I ended up with about 7 or 8 of them? This website was really good for making the plans: http://www.enotes.com/homework-help If you go on that and just type in book/s you're doing or the characters/themes etc. you can find some really good quotes and characters analyses that you can expand on yourself with your own ideas (make sure you use the search bar on the bottom right, not the top one).

English language was a case of just doing as many practise questions as possible. Reading the mark schemes and examiner reports will really help too as you'll be able to clearly see what you should and shouldn't do and what the common mistakes are.

Good luck!
    The website you gave me seemed to be the focusing on essays and homework though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Question 2 is the headline and picture question and 4's the comparison question, right? Just making sure in case I give you any wrong information by accident
    Yeah

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.