Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Excluding international students mostly from China?

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRoranth)
    Excluding international students mostly from China?
    Very, I mean look at all the different cultural societies: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/all/cultural/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toughtee)
    Very, I mean look at all the different cultural societies: https://www.warwicksu.com/societies/all/cultural/
    Ooooh, thanks for the link!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Race doesn't matter, please don't go into uni with that attitude :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    It's not like he's asking about the diversity so he can avoid Warwick if it is diverse...

I really don't see a problem with wanting to go to a diverse university.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    It's not like he's asking about the diversity so he can avoid Warwick if it is diverse...

I really don't see a problem with wanting to go to a diverse university.
    I don't care what races go to a uni, or how many of them there are, he does, which is a fine opinion to have. I'm just saying I disagree with accounting for race in part of your decision.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what races go to a uni, or how many of them there are, he does, which is a fine opinion to have. I'm just saying I disagree with accounting for race in part of your decision.
    If I was a minority, I too would be concerned about how diverse the university is.

Does that make me racist? If so then I hold my hands up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If I was a minority, I too would be concerned about how diverse the university is.

Does that make me racist? If so then I hold my hands up.
    Well, let's reverse that; if I was in a majority group (which I am), would caring about the number of ethnic majorities be racist? I think so.

In the same light, I think caring about the number of other races is similarly racist, but again, he can have that view, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's reverse that; if I was in a majority group (which I am), would caring about the number of ethnic majorities be racist?
    No.

It would not be racist for someone in a majority ethnic group to actively want to go to a diverse university.

ReputationRep:
    If you were an ethnic minority then you'd want to go somewhere that attracted people from a similar cultural background. What if all your friends went out drinking on the weekends and you didnt want to for religious reasons? Youd be left out with nothing to do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No.

It would not be racist for someone in a majority ethnic group to actively want to go to a diverse university.
    That's not what I was saying, I was comparing it to a white person looking for a place with lots of whites.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I was saying, I was comparing it to a white person looking for a place with lots of whites.
    I don't think it's too much of a double standard. British universities are likely to have a large white population so that scenario doesn't usually happen. It wouldn't be racist (in my opinion) for a White British person to look for a foreign university with many white students.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    I don't think it's too much of a double standard. British universities are likely to have a large white population so that scenario doesn't usually happen. It wouldn't be racist (in my opinion) for a White British person to look for a foreign university with many white students.
    You make a fair point actually.

I guess, If you are British but still a minority, then it's a bit weird but as a foreign student I guess I can understand.

ReputationRep:
    You make a fair point actually.

I guess, If you are British but still a minority, then it's a bit weird but as a foreign student I guess I can understand.
    I'm a British minority and I don't think it's weird that I want to go to university that is diverse, especially coming from London.
    Besides, it's not like I'm against having white friends or something?
    I just want to find comfort while I'm at university, knowing there are people like me who share the same culture, language, traditions, etc.

It's hard being a minority. You wouldn't know.

Edit: You'd be really pushing it to think I'm applying to universities solely based on how diverse they are. I'm not stupid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.