Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hooke's Law questions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got a couple of simple Hooke's Law questions in a text book I'm using, but I cannot get the answers given in the book.

Question 1: What force is required to stretch a spring with spring constant 0.2 N/cm a distance of 5 cm?

Question 2: A vertical spring stretches 5 cm under a load of 100 g. Determine the spring constant.

The formula for Hooke's Law is F= kx (K = constant and x = extension)

So for Q1 I simply multiply 0.2 N/cm with 5 cm and get a force of 1 Newton.

But the book says it's 0.01 N. ??

For Q2 I work out the force of the 100g mass: (0.1 Kg x 10 N/Kg for gravity = 1 Newton)
    Then I divide Force by Extension which is 1 N / 5 cm = 0.2 N/cm

But book says it's 0.05 N/cm ??

What am I doing wrong please?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.... the book clearly states that it is fine to give a constant as N/cm or even N/mm so long as the other unit corresponds. I still don't see how they get those particular answers.

If question 1 was supposed to be 0.2 N/m then yes... I convert the 5 cm to 0.05 m and then the calculation does result in 0.01 N for the Force. But it is clearly 0.2 N/cm so I leave the 5 cm alone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.