Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomTom)
    Remember, OP is pretty shaken up, don't make make her think its the end of the world by imposing you're beliefs on her.
    Imposing beliefs? She already HAS the morning after pill, we're just advising that she should take it to be sure.

Hardly anyone has raised any issues with the fact she's had sex and been naive enough to not know whether there was a risk of pregnancy.

We're not telling her to think this or that, no one has criticised her. We're not 'imposing' anything, the fact she already bought the pill shows she intended to take it anyway, we're just confirming she should because there is a risk, however big you think that may be, it's there regardless.

I don't see what your problem is, no one has said anything other than the sensible thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    all my friends who have been in the same situation were told the chances were minimal, but still present. while doctors may not have advised not to take it, they didn't advise to take it either.

Remember, OP is pretty shaken up, don't make make her think its the end of the world by imposing you're beliefs on her.
    It's not imposing our beliefs on her, it's pure fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coloursonthetv)
    Imposing beliefs? She already HAS the morning after pill, we're just advising that she should take it to be sure.

Hardly anyone has raised any issues with the fact she's had sex and been naive enough to not know whether there was a risk of pregnancy.

We're not telling her to think this or that, no one has criticised her. We're not 'imposing' anything, the fact she already bought the pill shows she intended to take it anyway, we're just confirming she should because there is a risk, however big you think that may be, it's there regardless.

I don't see what your problem is, no one has said anything other than the sensible thing to do.

ok lets get this clear, i share you're point of view, but the way you were "advising" just isn't a good one. it doesnt apply personally to you, but most others.
    the fact she is posting shows she isn't sure whether or not to take the pills, so rather than scaring her by making it sound like she has two choices, take the pill or expect a baby 9 months later.

the pill does **** up the girls body, and depending on how fragile she is, might not be the best solution seeing as she already had a fairly low probabilty of getting pregnant. i dont exactly know the values, im tempted to say less than 10%, in which case it would be comparable to using normal contraception in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Take it NOW.

ReputationRep:
    ok lets get this clear, i share you're point of view, but the way you were "advising" just isn't a good one. it doesnt apply personally to you, but most others.
    the fact she is posting shows she isn't sure whether or not to take the pills, so rather than scaring her by making it sound like she has two choices, take the pill or expect a baby 9 months later.

the pill does **** up the girls body, and depending on how fragile she is, might not be the best solution seeing as she already had a fairly low probabilty of getting pregnant. i dont exactly know the values, im tempted to say less than 10%, in which case it would be comparable to using normal contraception in the first place.
    Those figures are utter *******s. A condom's WAY more effective than 90% - not to mention you plucked that value out of thin air in the first place!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    as the others said get the Morning after pill now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    Those figures are utter *******s. A condom's WAY more effective than 90% - not to mention you plucked that value out of thin air in the first place!
    perhaps you should read my post, i did say i plucked it out of thin air, my point was it was comparable, not that it was the same.

not to mention the thread was made days ago, which means u donth ave to yell "TAKE IT NOW" anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danesh)
    wrong, just plain wrong. Please read the facts or do a medical degree before saying these things
    Explain just how that statement is "wrong, just plain wrong" - admittedly the likelihood fluctuates depending on the point of the cycle but surelythere is always a chance, even if it is much less of a chance as it might have been earlier/later in the cycle?

(Original post by thisbemadness)
    Ah I see, thanks!
    Id only ever heard of Levonelle up till now
    That's because Plan B only exists in the UK, where we get the much more pleasantly named Levonelle, makes me think of meadows and flowers and stuff even though it's named after the hormone/active ingredient of the pill (I think)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by philgw)
    Explain just how that statement is "wrong, just plain wrong" - admittedly the likelihood fluctuates depending on the point of the cycle but surelythere is always a chance, even if it is much less of a chance as it might have been earlier/later in the cycle?
    It's wrong because you can only get pregnant if there's an egg available to fertilise, which means you can only get pregnant for about 10 days (maximum) out of the month. The problem lies in not knowing when you've ovulated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    It's wrong because you can only get pregnant if there's an egg available to fertilise, which means you can only get pregnant for about 10 days (maximum) out of the month. The problem lies in not knowing when you've ovulated.
    Ah true, I'm a bit embarassed I didn't realise that the egg isn't always avaliavle. But still don't you think that's too risky to bother with? Who tracks their ovulation accuratly, and even then sperm can live from 3 to 7 days inside if the conditions are right? I wouldn't want to have anything to do with a girl who relied on the Rhythm method!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2007
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.