The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS applicants 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annie881
YESS ME, I'm so torn between Durham and SOAS! I really can't decide. For me, what makes me ask which one I should choose, is 1, the size of the cities (and how much job opportunities there are for students), 2, languages available, and 3, how prestigious the uni is, and how it ranks on the tables. I mean, Durham has always been high up in all factors, but SOAS has been going down the past years - except in Politics and Languages, where they are still pretty good, and which are my areas of interest. I am so torn! :biggrin:

I think if you would like to have a degree that isn't Europecentric, then you should definitely go to SOAS - they have so many options to choose from, and you can still have some focus on Europe, mixed with other areas!

Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling indecisive! I think I'm going to visit SOAS and see how I feel about the uni before I try and make a decision. I've heard really good things about Durham, are you applying for a joint Languages and Politics degree? I know nothing about languages although I'd love to learn but I do take Politics A-Level :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by queenoftheiceni
Glad to know I'm not the only one feeling indecisive! I think I'm going to visit SOAS and see how I feel about the uni before I try and make a decision. I've heard really good things about Durham, are you applying for a joint Languages and Politics degree? I know nothing about languages although I'd love to learn but I do take Politics A-Level :smile:

No, at Durham I have applied for Chinese Studies, because the IntRel and the Politics courses seemed to be focused on Europe and the Middle East- interesting, but I'm into China more than into the Middle East :biggrin:
And I think you should definitely visit, it might make the decision a lot easier for you!
Original post by Unidropout
Does anyone know how to change courses once you've accepted an offer from SOAS? I want to go from Persian and Arabic to Modern South Asian Studies and History of Art and Archaeology.

Would that be feasible?

There's an ask the admissions team thread from SOAS, I'm sure they'll be able to answer :smile:
Reply 83
I got offers from SOAS for BA Japanese and BA Japanese Studies!

I also have an offer from East Anglia and am waiting for Leeds to respond. SOAS is my first choice but Leeds looks amazing as well!

I'm struggling to choose between Japanese and Japanese Studies, worried I might not be able to cope with the intensity of the language course:afraid:

Hope everyone else gets good offers!:h:
Reply 84
I got accepted last year and deferred my entry. I'll be studying Politics and Development Studies from September.
I think SOAS were the last university to respond to my application so don't worry if it gets to a few months time and you haven't heard back, it's not necessarily a bad sign!
Reply 85
Hey! I went to SEAS in 2014/2015 but discontinued after the first year, but I've applied for Korean with Japanese for this September! :smile: Congrats to everyone who has already received their confirmations, still waiting on mine ~ ^^
Original post by GIZIBE
Hey! I went to SEAS in 2014/2015 but discontinued after the first year, but I've applied for Korean with Japanese for this September! :smile: Congrats to everyone who has already received their confirmations, still waiting on mine ~ ^^

What course have you taken when you were there for the first time? :smile: And can I ask why you stopped? Was it because you didn't like the course or something like that?
Reply 87
Original post by Annie881
What course have you taken when you were there for the first time? :smile: And can I ask why you stopped? Was it because you didn't like the course or something like that?

I took Korean Studies when I was there. Sadly I had to leave due to medical reasons but the course itself was fine and the teachers were wonderful. Sheffield Uni is beautiful as well as the area, but this time I decided to stay locally as I live in London and I've heard good things about SOAS :smile:
hi guys I didn't realise this thread was here
I have an offer for BA Politics and Korean
I got rejected from Cambridge yday so it's looking likely I'll end up at SOAS (not that that's a bad thing) :h:
Original post by belvliv
I got accepted last year and deferred my entry. I'll be studying Politics and Development Studies from September.
I think SOAS were the last university to respond to my application so don't worry if it gets to a few months time and you haven't heard back, it's not necessarily a bad sign!

This makes me feel a little better I guess? Since I'm still waiting to hear back from them. :frown: (Also congrats :biggrin:)

@GIZIBE I applied to SEAS for Korean aswell but I'm unsure simply because of the distance between there and where I live currently, was that a big deal for you or did it not bother you? SOAS is my main choice should I hear back from them, lol. Good luck and I hope you receive an offer from them soon. ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by 200462739264

@GIZIBE I applied to SEAS for Korean aswell but I'm unsure simply because of the distance between there and where I live currently, was that a big deal for you or did it not bother you? SOAS is my main choice should I hear back from them, lol. Good luck and I hope you receive an offer from them soon. ^^

Yes and no, I mean from London it's like a 2 hour train from St Pancras or a 4 hour coach ride. It was nice to be living in a new city independently but there were moments when I felt a bit homesick, yet I only went home 3 times in the year. I guess it depends how you feel about travelling and the need to be with friends/family from home? Even though it's not /that/ bad.. (assuming you're from London sorry if I'm wrong)

Good luck to you too! The wait is almost torturous : ' )
Original post by GIZIBE
Yes and no, I mean from London it's like a 2 hour train from St Pancras or a 4 hour coach ride. It was nice to be living in a new city independently but there were moments when I felt a bit homesick, yet I only went home 3 times in the year. I guess it depends how you feel about travelling and the need to be with friends/family from home? Even though it's not /that/ bad.. (assuming you're from London sorry if I'm wrong)

Good luck to you too! The wait is almost torturous : ' )

3 times? I will be moving to London from Budapest if I can meet my offer :biggrin:. I'm hoping to go back home like 4-5 times per year. My friends studying in London and also from Budapest have also come home at least that many times - every break, and 2-3 weekend escapes. :biggrin:

I guess you can go home as many times as you really want - if going home is a priority, you will be able to do so.
i got an offer from soas last week.
I got an offer yesterday from SOAS, after 12 days since my application, for International Relations and History - AAA :smile:
Hi all - received an offer to MA Islamic Societies and Cultures today. I submitted about 9 days ago and my references were submitted a week ago so this came through a lot more quickly than I had thought it would! Still waiting on KCL at the moment though.

Are there any other postgrad applicants/offer holders for 2017 here?
anyone going to their insight day, I signed up for one this Wednesday lol
Original post by Gigi26SMILE
Hi guys! Just wanted to see if there's anyone else out there :smile:
I'm only applying to SOAS as it's the only uni I want to go to, I'm applying for Korean ^^ at the moment I'm doing French, Spanish, and Biology!
Let me know what you guys are applying for, if you're applying anywhere else, what you're studying etc and hopefully we can get to know each other a bit =)

Hey guys, i was recently accepted into the IR and Arabic course so maybe ill see y'all around come september. Im so scared i wont fit in though! How do y'all feel?
Original post by physicsamor
anyone going to their insight day, I signed up for one this Wednesday lol

I signed up for it but can't afford the train tickets because I'd need to travel at peak times lmao
Original post by Steliata
I signed up for it but can't afford the train tickets because I'd need to travel at peak times lmao

I just wanted to see the times and I accidentally signed up, not that I dont want to go but I have lesson lol
Original post by queenoftheiceni

Personally as somebody who has studied at Durham I'd just like to say that it is an incredible uni HOWEVER I do feel that if you're not an upper class, lacrosse playing and horse riding kind of person it can feel a little difficult to fit in. I know that's stereotypical, and I'm sure not everybody feels the same but I personally wish I could go back and have chosen a more "cultured" uni like SOAS or Brighton where I think I would've fit in better! Good luck wherever you end up xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending