The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hey, so I'm currently taking 4 a levels, and I'm in the start of yr 12. I want to drop maths - so id just be taking religious studies, history, and biology. Hoping to study law at Cambridge. If I go down to three a levels now will it reduce my chances? I just feel I can do better with the only the three i want to do as I feel I will struggle a lot with maths and it will take up my time etc. What do you think?
Honestly if you only do 3 AS levels you have no chance of getting into Cambridge. You're really underestimating how competitive Cambridge is. Just doing 3 AS levels will put you at a disadvantage when applying to other Russell Group universities, let alone Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by Callum323
Honestly if you only do 3 AS levels you have no chance of getting into Cambridge. You're really underestimating how competitive Cambridge is. Just doing 3 AS levels will put you at a disadvantage when applying to other Russell Group universities, let alone Cambridge.

But most schools now only do three AS levels - as courses go linear. The only thing I get out of doing maths for the year is an AS I'm not sure id do well in? None of my other subjects I get any sort of AS qualification due to them now being a linear course
Original post by Drewwww
Hey, so I'm currently taking 4 a levels, and I'm in the start of yr 12. I want to drop maths - so id just be taking religious studies, history, and biology. Hoping to study law at Cambridge. If I go down to three a levels now will it reduce my chances? I just feel I can do better with the only the three i want to do as I feel I will struggle a lot with maths and it will take up my time etc. What do you think?

Concentrating on 3 A Levels and get really good grades instead of receiving 4 mediocre grades - Cambridge would definitely prefer the former. Also, pretty much every university course asks for 3 A Levels. Maybe do an EPQ or something if your school does them to stand out and show that you go beyond the syllabus, maybe?
I'm not either aspiring to be a Cambridge uni student or have much knowledge on university but I know that there is so much less pressure than there used to be about doing 4 A-levels. In my sixth form there are about 5 people in the year doing 4 A-levels, because it has been said that Universities only want 3 solid A-levels (especially as we are not doing AS) Don't worry about competition from other students, so many of us are doing 3

Quick Reply

Latest