The Student Room Group

Medical schools

Is it risky to apply to kings, Ucl, imperial, and Cambridge for medicine, even if you have more than 12 a stars at GCSE and 4 a star a level predictions and relevant work experience etc?
Anyone?
Reply 2
What would be the risk ???
Original post by Maz A
What would be the risk ???

They are all very competitive...
Reply 4
I think that's quiteeee risky.. Maybe do one less BMAT uni? Do 2 UKCAT?
What was your UMS for AS? and UKCAT score?
if i applied to imperial, cambridge, and then either ucl/kings , and bristol, would that sound better?
Original post by sububzi
I think that's quiteeee risky.. Maybe do one less BMAT uni? Do 2 UKCAT?
What was your UMS for AS? and UKCAT score?

didnt do AS as school did not offer them, but UKCAT was average around 650...
do you think cambridge, imperial, either ucl/kings, and bristol, would that be more sensible?
Reply 7
Three BMAT unis would be a risk, no matter how good the rest of your profile. Are you picking those unis because you actually like their courses or because you think they sound "prestigious?"
Reply 8
Original post by Uni12345678
didnt do AS as school did not offer them, but UKCAT was average around 650...
do you think cambridge, imperial, either ucl/kings, and bristol, would that be more sensible?

Yes you might want to scrap Imperial/UCL? Remember it's usually more difficult to get into Imperial but your stats are good (just do the BMAT well)..
And idk how Cambridge is gonna feel about you not having done AS? But I think it should be fine since obvs not all schools have done it :smile:
if i applied to imperial, cambridge, and then either ucl/kings , and bristol, would that sound better?

No.

The inherent risk here is that you have 3 BMAT choices. Even the very best candidates who have never got less than an A in their life can come out with a bad mark from that exam even if you don't have a disaster day for whatever reason, which you could.

Pick 2 Bmat unis at most.
Reply 10
Yeh, pick no more than 2 BMAT unis - all eggs in one basket is generally a bad idea.
Reply 11
They are all very competitive...

Oh right sorry misinterpreted what you were asking at first. I would definitely say it is slightly risky go for 2 BMAT ones and others that aren't so 'competitive'. This will give you a pathway just in case things wrong always be prepared for the worst case scenario. Nonetheless, well done the excellent grades/predictions good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest