Bad UKCAT!!!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    So I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he made it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school. He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow122)
    so I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he mad it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school.He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???
    Yes they will but ukcat is an assessment of cognitive abilities so school doesn't really play a factor. But it does make your grades look better e.g. a B at a bad school looks like an A. You could apply to less ukcat heavy unis or even do the BMAT. Just research your options carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    Yes they will but ukcat is an assessment of cognitive abilities so school doesn't really play a factor. But it does make your grades look better e.g. a B at a bad school looks like an A. You could apply to less ukcat heavy unis or even do the BMAT. Just research your options carefully.
    Thanks for the rapid response. I will do some more research into the requirements of certain universities.

ReputationRep:
    If you did well at GCSE maybe apply to Cardiff? Or plymouth and Bristol as Plymouth has low cut off points and Bristol doesn't look at it at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    If you did well at GCSE maybe apply to Cardiff? Or plymouth and Bristol as Plymouth has low cut off points and Bristol doesn't look at it at all
    Thank you for the response. I shall look into the university's and will call the admissions by tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow122)
    So I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he made it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school. He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???
    Hey there!

Don't worry! We know of 5 potential universities you could still apply to! For instance, Bristol only attribute 10% of their selection process to the UKCAT. 70% focuses on your personal statement. The other 20% is based on your examination performance.

Check out this blog: med schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your application!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hey there!

Don't worry! We know of 5 potential universities you could still apply to! For instance, Bristol only attribute 10% of their selection process to the UKCAT. 70% focuses on your personal statement. The other 20% is based on your examination performance.

Check out this blog: med schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your application!
    The Medic Portal
    Thanks a great deal ,your response was very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, I am doing my UKCAT next thursday and I am stressing about it. In a mock I did I got, 700 in VR, 530 in QR and 450 in AR. Are these good? Also, I am looking at applying to birmingham, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Sheffield. How much do these universities look at the UKCAT?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.