The Student Room Group

Is anyone elsestudying for A level Chemistry as a private candidate in 2017?

Hi just wondering if anyone else is studying for A level Chemistry and taking the exam in 2017. I am home studying and following the AQA specification. Thought it would be good to meet maybe others in the same boat? Thanks
Reply 1
Hey martina,

I am also studying at home, its much more fun than school in my opinion haha. Although i am struggling to find a centre which can let me do my controlled assessments. Could you explain to me how the controlled assessments work haha there is not much widespread info about this sort of stuff, thanks!
Original post by Suffaru
Hey martina,

I am also studying at home, its much more fun than school in my opinion haha. Although i am struggling to find a centre which can let me do my controlled assessments. Could you explain to me how the controlled assessments work haha there is not much widespread info about this sort of stuff, thanks!

You will need to find a centre near you that can accommodate private candidates. For the practicals they usually charge £200 a practical (its the cheapest I've seen) and about £50 per exam sat. As for revising the practical elements, my advice would be to learn the topic in depth and look on past papers and mark schemes at the kind of wording you need to be able to get a good grade
Reply 3
Thx man, are you also applying to medical school as a private candidate?I know i am lol. Does it matter, if you have studied as a private candidate or whether you have studied at a traditional college?
Original post by Suffaru
Thx man, are you also applying to medical school as a private candidate?I know i am lol. Does it matter, if you have studied as a private candidate or whether you have studied at a traditional college?

No, I'm just resitting to get better grades for a better uni than the one I've already been too lol.

No as far as I know it doesn't matter as long as you meet the grade requirements
Reply 5
I have phoned AQA and asked about the 12 required practicals of the A level Chemistry and could I be awarded the qualification without them. I was told that that I could but there are the questions on the final paper relating to the practicals which might pose a problem. I could get the A level just from sitting the 3 final exams but it would be without the practical endorsement. This part is needed for Uni entry but I'm not studying to get into Uni (already a Geology graduate) as I am a teacher, teaching GCSE Chemistry and want to move into A level..

Has anyone got any further advice on this?

I have got the CGP Chemistry A level revision book and A level textbook along with the specification and I have printed out a few past papers. So far the AS is just about ok although currently stuck on the REDOX equations!
Reply 6
Hi, I think new spec edexcel chem has a practical exam paper instead, however they advise you to have completed experiments in order to do this paper. Saying that, I'm sure it's knowledge that can be gained through own research. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is what it states on the spec.*
Original post by Martina12
I have phoned AQA and asked about the 12 required practicals of the A level Chemistry and could I be awarded the qualification without them. I was told that that I could but there are the questions on the final paper relating to the practicals which might pose a problem. I could get the A level just from sitting the 3 final exams but it would be without the practical endorsement. This part is needed for Uni entry but I'm not studying to get into Uni (already a Geology graduate) as I am a teacher, teaching GCSE Chemistry and want to move into A level..

Has anyone got any further advice on this?

I have got the CGP Chemistry A level revision book and A level textbook along with the specification and I have printed out a few past papers. So far the AS is just about ok although currently stuck on the REDOX equations!

As I understand it AQA has a list on their website of all the practicals they could potentially cover:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/a-level-practical-assessment

I would advise looking through legacy paper marks schemes and examiner reports to find out how to answer these sorts of questions
Reply 8
If you want to apply to a course such as medicine you will require a 'pass' in the practical endorsement. I am also a private candidate studying new spec bio and chem! It has been great but I am struggling to find a place for practical endorsement. Please let me know if anyone knows?
Reply 9
If you guys are learning from home and want a quick recap on topics in A level chemistry then look at this guys channel - he covers quite a few topics and you can request ones he hasn't done :smile: Take a look https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxymWb7Grb_R5xoWoDFcWzw

Quick Reply

Latest