The Student Room Group

Job interview

I have a job interview to work as a door to door sales adviser any tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
be confident !
Don't go to the interview, I ****ing hate door to door salesmen.
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Don't go to the interview, I ****ing hate door to door salesmen.

well No because it pays extremely well and all i would be doing is offering people cheaper energy prices
Original post by john1332123
well No because it pays extremely well and all i would be doing is offering people cheaper energy prices

What is "extremely well"? And no, all you will be doing is pissing everyone off.
Reply 5
Do you work on commission? I'm sorry but I hate door to door sales people
Look at all this love (!) :colonhash: Be confident, Smile, don't overthink, do some background research on the company, have a chewing gum but make sure to chuck it out before the interview, eat well, phone on silent, dress smartly, just some of the tips I'd use :h:
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
What is "extremely well"? And no, all you will be doing is pissing everyone off.

72 k a year
72 k a year

is that an actual salary or what you 'could' earn through commission if you're successful... I suspect the second... be wary of those estimated incomes, they are often pulled from thin air or only a couple of really fantastic salesmen are able to meet them while others struggle to average minimum wage and never know what they will earn from one month to the next

in a sales interview though obviously talking about sales experience is good but you mostly want to come across as friendly and personable as those people are most likely to sell products

LOL you already have the job, you'll be sat down over a coffee with someone who already works there, asked why you want the job and what you think would make you good at the job, they'll shake your hand, and tell you to come in the following day for some training where they'll basically teach you the patter, and how to turn people's objections around.

72k is when you have multiple tiers of people under you, and you're relying on your teams sales, realistically, you're looking at 3 sales a day as a good day.

Make sure you have a salary and it's not all commission based.
Original post by Donkey******
LOL you already have the job, you'll be sat down over a coffee with someone who already works there, asked why you want the job and what you think would make you good at the job, they'll shake your hand, and tell you to come in the following day for some training where they'll basically teach you the patter, and how to turn people's objections around.

72k is when you have multiple tiers of people under you, and you're relying on your teams sales, realistically, you're looking at 3 sales a day as a good day.

they did seem relaxed on the phone about it

also do you really think it will be that easy and why, have you had experience

and its not all commission
John take this from someone who has spent the past 6 years of their lives working in sales, honestly, don't bother going to the Interview. I'm going to assume it was advertised as "GRADUATE DOOR TO DOOR SALES URGENTLY REQUIRED, NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED" with a ridiculously over the top earning potential. Yeah, no.

That earning potential, as it has already been mentioned, will more than likely be minimum wage on the dot, maybe even less because the law with minimum wage when earning commission defends the employer, not the employee.

Secondly, door to door sales, is the ****test piece of **** to ever wipe itself on our society. I promise you, without any shadow of a doubt that you will wish you hadn't have gone to the interview. Trust me when I say, you can do so much better.
I hate salesmen :angry: They prey on the elderly and gullible
Not sure if this makes a difference but they did ask for experience with door-to-door sales and the man on the phone literally said to me if you don't mind going and knocking on peoples doors in the rain then this is the job for you what do you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
And to all those who say that they hate salespeople I wouldn't be the type of sleazy salesman I would be completely honest on how much money they would be saving and whether they would be saving at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
And to all those who say that they hate salespeople I wouldn't be the type of sleazy salesman I would be completely honest on how much money they would be saving and whether they would be saving at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but at the end of the day you are a salesman and people will despise you no matter what you say. Why should they trust some random individual who goes round knocking on doors? Thirsty much?! You could also be viewed as a scammer or a ********ting ****?
(edited 7 years ago)
Well I say there's no harm in trying it

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've already had sales experience the interview should be a breeze.

Confidence with experience = good. <this is your friend
Cockiness = bad.

I'm going to level with you, here are some realistic expectations:
- As long as you're not complacent in the interview, you'll get an offer I'm pretty sure of it. BUT, this will have more to do with the fact that sales roles are despised not only by their salesman but by their victims too, they'll wreck you!
- You're not going to earn £72k a year from a door-to-door salesmen role
- You're more likely to earn £7.2 per hour, maybe a little more if you're lucky

I'm now going to give you my two pennies worth (devalued British currency, THANKS BREXIT!) as a veteran.
When I saw what sales people had to go through for meager wages all while selling their soul to the devil, I lost my **** and crawled my miserable butt back to college. I failed at school but boy did I work my derriere at college. Luckily I saved up enough so I could do that, but this was when the economy was stronger, you may not have the option to study full time, maybe in your free time in a practical or technical subject or field that will get you something better- that will be your respite.

But if you're looking for a sales role as something long term (years) instead of as a means to getting yourself a better more respectable role (a REAL job), may Dog have mercy on your soul!

But for now, you do what you gotta do, show off them pearly whites :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply