The Student Room Group
sandya
Is it ok for my personal statement has 53 lines? My teacher told me that it should be 4,000 characters OR 47 lines. What if I am able to reduce my personal statement to 47 lines but it is slightly over 4,000 characters, is that ok? I guess it shold be...

thanks

well, I guess its not okay! it should be 4000 characters cas the uni will not view the whole PS. YOU HAVE TO FIT IT IN 4000 CHARACTERS!This is what my teacher told me last year and check the UCAS site. You may be able to get help there:rolleyes:
I don't know, but if you copy and paste it into your application form on UCAS Apply, I don't think it will let you exceed the limit, so that should tell you.
Reply 3
Your personal statement must absolutely be within those limits.

You'll be entering it into a form on the UCAS Apply website, which has a fixed limit both in terms of characters and lines. It must be both less than 4000 characters and less than 47 lines long.

I'm facing the same problem as you at the moment, though. I just can't figure out what to remove!
Reply 4
When I did my personal statement last year, I didn't have a problem. Remmber that there are certain words which are irrelevant, for example 'I have a passionate and curious interest in art' or whatever can be reduced. You musn't waffle on about how wonderful you believe your subject is; just say what you want to do, why you want to do it and then your skills/experiences. Don't go overboard. If you do have too much, then kill your darlings. For example, if one thing is important/relevant, keep it there, yet if something else isn't really that useful, then cut it out.

:smile:
Reply 5
You cannot exceed the limit: it will not send until you have 47 lines of less and 4000 characters or less - if you need help in cutting it down, then that's what the PS Helpers are here for! (Forum 134 if you need us)
Reply 6
but in the UCAS help for peronal statement it said that the personal statement can be up to 4,000 characters OR 47 lines of text. I have been able to have 4,000 characters but I have 51 lines because of blank lines..that should be as I have up to 4,000 characters...isn't it?
no no no 4000 characters and 47 lines are max. ive tried it. it will not let you type any more if you used up either 4000 characters or 47 lines.
Reply 8
I ended up taking out the blank lines :smile:
iainmacn
I ended up taking out the blank lines :smile:

That's the best thing to do because UCAS format it all strangely in the end anyway, so the blank lines might not even show up. It might just be a solid block of text however you type it in, so you might as well save the space. The unis won't hold it against you because it will be the same for everyone.
Reply 10
You type your personal statement in the UCAS track account that you have anyway, and within that application it will NOT allow you to go over 47 lines. You will be unable to add anything that exceeds 47 lines.

As far as I know, there's no word limit, but only a line limit. So as long as it's within 47 lines, you should be fine. But yes, it MUST be within 47 lines. You cannot go over, but you don't wanna use anything less than 43-45 lines really.
I thought there was a 600 words limit...

Latest

Trending

Trending