Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

TSR History Week: How many Jewish people were killed by the Nazis in World War 2?

• View Poll Results: How many Jewish people were killed in World War 2?
    4.55%
    2 million
    4.55%
    4 million
    9.09%
    6 million
    68.18%
    8 million
    13.64%

ReputationRep:
    There is no doubting how awful the events of World War 2 (WW2) were, but the events of the Holocaust always seem to bring the biggest shiver down my spine.

How many Jewish people were killed by the Nazis in WW2? What could have been done to prevent this? What can be done to prevent this ever happening again?

Use the poll to vote for which answer you think is correct and it shall be revealed at the end of the week!

ReputationRep:
    What a strange idea for a poll...

Also, couldn't we just Google the answer instead of having to wait a week? Sorry to burst your bubbles, BurstingBubbles.

Jeeves might know too, we could ask him. He's getting on a bit; he was probably around during the Nazi era, the demented old git. Although, if he is demented, he probably wouldn't be a good person to ask after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)

Also, couldn't we just Google the answer instead of having to wait a week? Sorry to burst your bubbles, BurstingBubbles.

Jeeves might know too, we could ask him. He's getting on a bit; he was probably around during the Nazi era, the demented old git. Although, if he is demented, he probably wouldn't be a good person to ask after all.
    It's to raise awareness about the amount of Jewish people who suffered because of the Nazi's. It may have been a long time ago but we learn from history to get and stop it happening again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davalla)

By Googling the answer, you'd still be getting the exact same benefit that was intended - you'd be more aware of the topic of the poll, and informed on the statistics if you didn't already know them :yep:

Plus it's a bit of fun really, and a nice way to learn more things

ReputationRep:
    That's a rather morbid poll, most people have a general awareness of the Holocaust, but it's not just a piece of throwaway trivia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MemeworksStudios)
    That's a rather morbid poll, most people have a general awareness of the Holocaust, but it's not just a piece of throwaway trivia.
    Sadly it was a morbid time and the figures show how awful it was and the impact it had. Hopefully it won't happen again!

ReputationRep:
    A few thousand, <10000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Sadly it was a morbid time and the figures show how awful it was and the impact it had. Hopefully it won't happen again!
    I agree, but a throwaway poll on TSR doesn't quite capture it and it seems less like a serious discussion of a history and more a self-aggrandising and inappropriately misguided attempt to promote this business as having some sort of ethical element. I think it would be a better use of your time to shut down the antisemitic threads quickly, yesterday I saw a large number of such things and also do the same for other types of hate.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but a throwaway poll on TSR doesn't quite capture it and it seems less like a serious discussion of a history and more a self-aggrandising and inappropriately misguided attempt to promote this business as having some sort of ethical element. I think it would be a better use of your time to shut down the antisemitic threads quickly, yesterday I saw a large number of such things and also do the same for other types of hate.
    It's about the discussion after it (I.e the questions I asked in the OP of the thread) which can lead from it just like you could do how 1 in 4 people suffer from Mental Health difficulties, so what? Then it's about how we use that figure to learn and support them after this initial figure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Plus it's a bit of fun really, and a nice way to learn more things
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    it's a bit of fun really
    Just astonishing.

ReputationRep:
    Or perhaps it spikes people's interest in the topic so they can find further information elsewhere - we're not a site for informing people about the entirety of a historical event, but this is a place to discuss historical topics, as this thread gives the opportunity to do. As Support Team members, it doesn't actually affect us whether the business is promoted in any form, so that's a bit unfair, I feel

Moderation is largely done in house, not by us - if you feel that there are a lot of antisemitic threads, you need to report them, so the Community Team can sort them out :yep:

Just astonishing.
    This is part of a series of threads that promote awareness of different events and teach people more about them, without being excessively heavy and overshot, as well as giving people a chance to discuss the topic and learn new things. That's what I'm referring to as being 'a bit of fun' :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Worth remembering about 5 million other people were killed in the Holocaust on top of those 6 million Jews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Worth remembering about 5 million other people were killed in the Holocaust on top of those 6 million Jews.
    Definitely, very good point. I believe those with learning difficulties, with other religions, and ethnicities were also killed? Which other groups of people were?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Over 9000.

Spoiler:
    Show
    JK, 500k or so is about right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Definitely, very good point. I believe those with learning difficulties, with other religions, and ethnicities were also killed? Which other groups of people were?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Homosexuals and the disabled, too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.