Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Manchester.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The size of the intake each year is very different between the two - Manchester has over 100 music students starting each year, York has only 50. That will clearly make a difference to the teaching environment (and Manchester have more staff and so offer a greater degree of choice in your later years)

have a look at www.tqi.ac.uk (Performing arts includes music courses)

ReputationRep:
    Not that this will affect the manchester music department that much individually, but one must bear in mind that Manchester is recently created university in actuality. I don't quite understand how the league tables are combining (if they are combining, which I doubt) the old RAE and QAA scores for Victoria and UMIST and it doesn't really matter because they aren't reflective of what is a much larger and different institution.

So, any discussion about Manchester and general league table rankings is a total waste of time because the assessments that form a large part of what goes into these rankings were not performed on the current University of Manchester. The new University of Manchester is going to be a seriously big player in the future (because both Victoria and UMIST were already well established top-end institutions).

ReputationRep:
    It purely depends on what you're wanting. York is VERY performance based. Everyone in first year joins in with a production of some sort. Manchester seems much more academic, although performance is by no means left out.
    You also have the chance to participate in the many areas of music making, such as the Halle Orchestra, Halle Choir, RNCM things and many more.

I personally would choose Manchester, but then again, I chose Durham over Manchester because I hate Manchester itself. At Manchester you would possibly feel like just another student in the vastness of the student capital of the north. I got good vibes from Manchesters music department.

ReputationRep:
    Purely on reputation and prestige, I'd say York is certainly slightly better than Manchester, but Manchester is still a highly respected University.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I prefer the astmosphere in York as opposed to Manchester, but they're both brilliant Unis I'm sure you'll be fine wherever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    As someone wisely said when I asked a similar question of Durham vs Manchester, you arguably cannot make a bad choice, as both Manchester and York have excellent music departments. You should choose the university on the grounds of the feel and atmosphere more than the prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The size of the intake each year is very different between the two - Manchester has over 100 music students starting each year, York has only 50. That will clearly make a difference to the teaching environment (and Manchester have more staff and so offer a greater degree of choice in your later years)

have a look at www.tqi.ac.uk (Performing arts includes music courses)
    i don't know quite where you got your manchester figures from as a quick look at the website says that there are 65 places.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about York but I liked Manchester. I thought it was beautiful to be a part of such an exciting and fast paced city and the university seemed to be in the middle of it all. Its quite scaterred around and definelty dose not exude the campus feel so if you aren't the confident, independent type, it might faze you substantially. I prefer places like that, and I really hope I get in; I am really really worried about that .

ReputationRep:
    Have you come to any decision or have any leanings x_muso_x?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure, Manchester as a city I really don't like - the amount of crime there worries me, and also the amount of people around due to the number of unis in the same place... I don't know. York as a place appeals to me much more, and the feel I got around the uni was more personal if that makes sense...? - but the music department at manc is really good, great facilities etc, and also the high entry requirements lead me to question whether York is 'good enough' for me academically (I am predicted 3 As), without wishing to sound arrogant, I'm not quite sure what I'm saying here...
    The main thing now dividing them is my career prospects (in music) resulting from either, does anyone (maybe angus_mcfisher?)have any opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_muso_x)
    I'm not quite sure, Manchester as a city I really don't like - the amount of crime there worries me
    I live in Manchester, and from my experience, it is perfectly safe in certain areas, and dangerous in other areas - most obviously the worse-off places. The places where the majority of the accomodation for Manchester Uni don't venture into the more infamous places of Mosside, Gorton etc. I've yet to hear of an attack or anything in Fallowfield or even in the centre of Manchester on the local news so it isn't terribly dangerous as a student.

and also the amount of people around due to the number of unis in the same place... I don't know. York as a place appeals to me much more, and the feel I got around the uni was more personal if that makes sense...?
    I couldn't agree with you more. This is the main reason I chose Durham - Manchester is extremely busy and whilst it is vibrant purely due to population, the city itself is horribly inpersonal - and personally I find the architecture disgusting.

but the music department at manc is really good, great facilities etc,
    Aye, tis true! I was in a similar dilemma with Manchester vs Durham because I knew the reputation of Manchester's department and also the high entry requirements made me assume that Manchesters department was better, that it was somewhat prestigious, and to a degree it is, but I also read somewhere that some universities state higher entry requirements than they actually require in order to appear more prestigious, and then if they fail to meet they simply offer the place anyway. I don't know whether this is true for Manchester, but it's worth bearing in mind.

The main thing now dividing them is my career prospects (in music) resulting from either, does anyone (maybe angus_mcfisher?)have any opinions on this?
    I can't really say much to be honest. I know one person who has graduated from Manchester and studied Composition and she is teaching at the Junior RNCM and I also think she was offered a post at Leeds Uni. As for York, I cannot really say as I don't know anyone who's actually finished their course there, I know quite a few people who study there now and they absolutely love it.

As I said before, I was in a pretty similar dilemma - to go for the place I prefer or the place that has a percieved better department. I decided to go for the place I prefer the atmosphere of. If I'd went to Manchester, I'd have loved the course I'm sure, but I'd have just felt like another number. Also, the dullness of Manchester was a big thing for me too.

I would recommend that you choose the place which you prefer the atmpsphere to. You may go to Manchester and love the course but not feel as though you have settled in. You may go to York and feel that you have settled in and have a fantastic time, and whilst the course may be of a slightly lesser standard, you probably wouldn't even think about Manchester. However, if you do not like Manchester's atmosphere, then you most likely would think about York and regret not choosing York.

Finally, as I realise the length of this post, if you take a look at the League Tables, York is substantially above Manchester in all of them. Take a look here and here. Interestingly, on the Guardian, they state that job prospects at Manchester are 5 and York has 7.

You may also wish to look at my Durham vs Manchester thread which you commented on

Hope this helps you,

Kind regards,

Lee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angus_mcfisher)
    I live in Manchester, and from my experience, it is perfectly safe in certain areas, and dangerous in other areas - most obviously the worse-off places. The places where the majority of the accomodation for Manchester Uni don't venture into the more infamous places of Mosside, Gorton etc. I've yet to hear of an attack or anything in Fallowfield or even in the centre of Manchester on the local news so it isn't terribly dangerous as a student.
    That triple murder last month with the mother and her two children just slipped your mind then did it? Granted, it wasn't in the same student area of Fallowfield where rapings and muggings are becoming commonplace but still...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedT)
    That triple murder last month with the mother and her two children just slipped your mind then did it? Granted, it wasn't in the same student area of Fallowfield where rapings and muggings are becoming commonplace but still...
    Lol, I seem to have forgot about that one. I take back what I said about violence in Fallowfield, but that said, I have a lot of friends who live in Fallowfield and the centre of Manchester and I go out in Manchester a lot and have never had a problem. I know a lot of people who have been attacked around Oldham and that area however - luckily for me this area is the area I'm escaping to go to Durham lol

ReputationRep:
    If mention repu worldwide I will definitely say Manc.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.