Finalising uni choices please help!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo really need help in finalising my final 4 options!Ive posted before but got no replies so would like any help!

GCSEs:
    3A*s 8A's

A- Level:
    Predicted AAA (Got an A in AS maths this year)

UKCAT:
    VR: 630
    QR: 710
    AR: 680
    SJT: Band 1
    Overall: 2020 (673 Average)

BMAT
    Don't plan on taking, I think that is wise?
    (Believe I have all the work experience and extra curricular stuff for a good application as my head of year said it was good)

Current Options To Think About:
    Bristol - Wasn't a massive fan of the place not sure if 70% PS is risky
    Exeter - Like it but I don't have high predicted grades and unsure if my UKCAT would be good enough
    Liverpool - Think I meet the academic requirements in terms of GCSEs and UKCAT so think a good choice?
    Hull - York - I have Band 1 which would help me throughout the selection but not sure on the rest
    UEA - 1/3 for a levels UKCAT and GCSES i don't know if its good or bad I'm average across all
    Manchester - Met the UKCAT cutoff from previous years Idk if work experience form is risky bc of opinion
    Plymouth - Met minimum standards from their website scores not sure how they process rest of application
    Sheffield - Leaning away from here as they rank on UKCAT score and as mine isn't 700+ is it a bit too risky
    Southampton - Has been said they're UKCAT heavy but a friend went to an open day and said 2000 score would be a competitive score??

Thank you for any answers! As you can see I've done a bit of research but as i don't have 1 strong area I don't know whats best? Any other ones to consider?

ReputationRep:
    IMO it's fairly random how it all works out except for places that advertise high cut offs like Sheffield. I would apply to the ones you like best and just see what happens. Potentially you may have opened some extra doors by doing the BMAT - you may have got a very high mark for example, and guaranteed yourself an interview - but it's too late now as far as I'm aware the BMAT date for this year would have been earlier so stick to what you've got. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong. Pick it based on where you want to be.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise against Exeter as unless they changed this year) they bad you by how many A*s you're predicted and have UKCAT cut offs in each band. I remember readin somewhere that the cut off for people with 1 A* prediction was over 700
    As you know Bristol is risky especially since it is the most oversubscribed as they are the only place not to look at UKCAT.
    Sheffield said if they used the ranking system last year for UKCAT the cut off would've been quite high I can't remember how high but it may be a tad higher than what you got
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    IMO it's fairly random how it all works out except for places that advertise high cut offs like Sheffield. I would apply to the ones you like best and just see what happens. Potentially you may have opened some extra doors by doing the BMAT - you may have got a very high mark for example, and guaranteed yourself an interview - but it's too late now as far as I'm aware the BMAT date for this year would have been earlier so stick to what you've got. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong. Pick it based on where you want to be.
    Thanks for replying! I didn't want to do BMAT as the only place i wanted to go was Leeds but when i went to the open day they said they score you GCSEs out of 27 3 for 1 A* etc 8 points for AAA prediction or higher and 5 points for BMAT with the top 20% of leeds applicants scoring 5 so even if i did well at BMAT i could still be behind on points so not worth the risk! Yea Ive just got to pray i get an interview haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jehaan)
    I'd advise against Exeter as unless they changed this year) they bad you by how many A*s you're predicted and have UKCAT cut offs in each band. I remember readin somewhere that the cut off for people with 1 A* prediction was over 700
    As you know Bristol is risky especially since it is the most oversubscribed as they are the only place not to look at UKCAT.
    Sheffield said if they used the ranking system last year for UKCAT the cut off would've been quite high I can't remember how high but it may be a tad higher than what you got
    Hope that helps!
    Thank you I really want to put Exeter as I loved the place but i just think i won't get an offer so theres no point my teacher said something similar to you!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.