Is North-South divide getting bigger? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How large is the economic gap between the north and south of the UK?

Labour has not managed to close the wealth divide in the UK during its 10 years in power, a report suggests.

The Institute for Public Policy Research found that from 1997 to 2005 the growth rate in London and the South East had risen while the North East, North West, Yorkshire and Humberside and the Midlands had all moved further away from the national average.

The director of the study said the government was "in denial" over the gap and called on Gordon Brown to set tough targets to reduce regional inequality.

Do you think the North-South divide is growing? Has prosperity increased in your region? Is Labour doing enough for poorer areas of the UK? How can regional differences be reduced?

Click here to read the full story (on the BBC website)
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are always going to be areas that grow quicker than others, and I daresay in most countries, this is the capital as well. It's not like the other areas aren't growing.
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ Exactly.

It's all relative anyway.
slk999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it's pretty much the same. the government can change legislation and drown the country in propaganda, but they can't change people!
Joric
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No division can be done this way.
DiscoPirate
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
Well i don't see what regional prosperity has to do with the North/South divide. There's some very expensive places to live up here as well as down south. Likewise there are some very poor places up here as well as down South.

In my opinion, you'd have to be either very snobbish or very bitter to believe that there is a N/S divide, I think it's pretty much gone by today's standards. Sure light hearted rivalry is still around ie. 'Those Bloody Southerners.' Nothing nasty of course.

It doesn't help though when you get toss pots like Michael Winner saying (On the topic that Yorkshire folk are the friendliest in Britain) 'Of course they're friendly, they're too thick to offend anyone.'

And Esure Sucks.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The only divide that exists in Britain is that between rich and poor.
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
North and south divide? Cornwall is one of the poorest region in the entire UK along with many regions in Greater London.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Vincente)
North and south divide? Cornwall is one of the poorest region in the entire UK along with many regions in Greater London.
I'm sorry, but since when has Cornwall represented the majority of the population in the south?
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ What is your point there? I'm trying say that just because the South East and London is growing more rapidly, it doesn't mean that the entire south is the same (Cornwall has a population of 500,000). There is also Greater London which I mentioned as well which makes up a huge propotion of the South's population.
fuglyduckling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pernell Whitaker)
The only divide that exists in Britain is that between rich and poor.
Glib. There's definitely a racial divide in the UK for one thing.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fuglyduckling)
Glib. There's definitely a racial divide in the UK for one thing.
Hmm.

I agree to an extent, but I still think money/wealth is more important.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Anyone else notice that the BBC often asks questions in HYS that are questions of fact not opinion?

"Is the North-South divide getting bigger?" How the hell will any member of the public know? Get the relevant figures and find out. Perhaps the question should have been "Do you think the divide is getting bigger?" or some other stupid question in which opinions are given more import than the actual facts.
SHAC attack!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It really is all relative.

However wealthy people in the North have a much better standard of living because of lower house prices.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SHAC attack!)
It really is all relative.

However wealthy people in the North have a much better standard of living because of lower house prices.
Yeah but they also may have to live around more poverty and crime.
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When the North develop 20th century technology then we'll talk :p:

There is no divide, there is just outdated perception. The North may not be as affluent by GDP than the South, but that is mostly because of London, without it we wouldn't be a rich nation and the South would be in the Same situation as the North.
SHAC attack!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
How do you define poverty? I would say that the majority of people in the North have a much bigger disposable income than their counterparts in the south especially lower earners. Just because someone owns an expensive property and mortgaged up to the hilt doesn't make them wealthy.

Crime? That is a little vague.
DiscoPirate
Badges: 9
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
No, not really.

If i was asked which place in the UK has the worst crime rate i'd certainly suggest a suburb of London.
GarethBrown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
some suburbs, others not. In the suburbs with crime etc the house prices will be lower.

A desirable area results in higher house prices. there is undeniable causality between standard of living and house prices.
GarethBrown
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/6564923.stm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (34)
16.92%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (85)
42.29%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
40.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise