Oxford's Environment?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student applying to Oxford this year, and I'm concerned with Oxford's supposed intense environment. I've heard mixed things and as someone who has depression and anxiety, I'm afraid that Oxford's rigorous workloads and heavily competitive atmosphere, combined with being away from home, will worsen my conditions. So, I'd really like to know how Oxford's environment truly is? Do you regret going? Is it manageable?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine, it's mainly chavs anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa.aol)
    I'm an international student applying to Oxford this year, and I'm concerned with Oxford's supposed intense environment. I've heard mixed things and as someone who has depression and anxiety, I'm afraid that Oxford's rigorous workloads and heavily competitive atmosphere, combined with being away from home, will worsen my conditions. So, I'd like really like to know how Oxford's environment truly is? Do you regret going? Is it manageable?
    Thanks in advance!
    It's certainly full on, but it's manageable. If you want long weekends of relaxation, early nights and lie ins, then it's not for you.

However, if I made an effort to be a bit more organised (which is far too much effort IMO) I could get all my work done during the week and have the weekend off. I also get light weeks with less work,( eg when I'm not in labs) then I can get away with not working on Monday and Tuesday (but that means I have a lot to catch up on over the following three days.

Anyway, with good time management you have time to do things you enjoy as well as your degree

ReputationRep:
    As a parent, this is what I have seen so far;

- there is a lot of work, and the prospect of a weekly "test" in a tutorial can induce panic, whereas at other Unis it is easier to coast along under the radar for months at a time.

- there isn't really "too much" work overall, provided you are good at time management

- because most people are working pretty hard, they will make allowances if you say, "Not tonight, I've got a tute/collections tomorrow". i.e. People who work hard might feel more normal at Oxford than at other unis

- the worst pressure comes from *you* - most Oxford students are used to getting top marks and stress out when they find suddenly they are in an environment where they are just average. You need to be able to accept that a 2.2 is actually OK!

- if you are aware that you have difficulties with anxiety/depression/loneliness, it's really important to organise support *before* things get bad. Have 'mood protection' routines and alert supportive people as soon as you feel a bit wobbly. I don't think Oxford is any better or worse than other places for pastoral support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaa.aol)
    I'm an international student applying to Oxford this year, and I'm concerned with Oxford's supposed intense environment. I've heard mixed things and as someone who has depression and anxiety, I'm afraid that Oxford's rigorous workloads and heavily competitive atmosphere, combined with being away from home, will worsen my conditions. So, I'd really like to know how Oxford's environment truly is? Do you regret going? Is it manageable?
    Thanks in advance!
    It is an issue, I'm not going to lie. I've also got big issues with anxiety and although I'd generally still agree that I'm glad I came here, I'm pretty close to that borderline and there have been plenty of days where I wished I was somewhere else. There definitely is help available, the university has a counselling service and all colleges will have plenty of trained people for you to talk to if you feel like you need it so you're not alone, but nothing is going to change the fact that it's a fundamentally pressurised and intensive place to be. You've got to weigh up these problems with Oxford's advantages to reach a conclusion as to whether you think it's a sensible idea for you. Not sure how helpful this is, you're welcome to PM me though.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.