The Student Room Group

Applying For Psychology Degree

So, here's my current situation: before starting my ACCESS course I had no idea how interesting I would find Psychology - to the extent that I would like to pursue a Psychology degree. I originally chose the pathway that I'm on with the intention of applying to study English Literature at uni, however with my recent revelations I'm severely conflicted.
I would really like to apply to Newcastle Uni to do a Psychology degree, and their entry requirements for the course state that 15 credits are required in Human Biology and Mathematics each.
The problem I have is that the subjects I'm studying don't really cover this due to my initial desire to apply for an English Literature degree. My courses are:

Core science (9 credits)
Psychology (9 credits)
Sociology (9 credits)
English Literature (9 credits)
History (9 credits)
English language (9 credits, ungraded)
Maths (6 credits, level 2, ungraded)

So, does anyone have any experience applying for Psychology degrees? And how strict they are about the subjects? Newcastle say that they prefer students with a science-y background for Psychology, and my College do have a level 3 maths course that I'm going to see if I can join for additional credits.
Am I likely to be considered studying these subjects? Or should I forget about my love for Psychology and instead focus on my original plan for uni?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by lewjen
So, here's my current situation: before starting my ACCESS course I had no idea how interesting I would find Psychology - to the extent that I would like to pursue a Psychology degree. I originally chose the pathway that I'm on with the intention of applying to study English Literature at uni, however with my recent revelations I'm severely conflicted.
I would really like to apply to Newcastle Uni to do a Psychology degree, and their entry requirements for the course state that 15 credits are required in Human Biology and Mathematics each.
The problem I have is that the subjects I'm studying don't really cover this due to my initial desire to apply for an English Literature degree. My courses are:

Core science (9 credits)
Psychology (9 credits)
Sociology (9 credits)
English Literature (9 credits)
History (9 credits)
English language (9 credits, ungraded)
Maths (6 credits, level 2, ungraded)

So, does anyone have any experience applying for Psychology degrees? And how strict they are about the subjects? Newcastle say that they prefer students with a science-y background for Psychology, and my College do have a level 3 maths course that I'm going to see if I can join for additional credits.
Am I likely to be considered studying these subjects? Or should I forget about my love for Psychology and instead focus on my original plan for uni?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I started my access course I planned to do a teaching degree.

So I was doing the subjects science, English language, history and sociology. I then took up psychology as an extra. Fell in love with the subject, and I am now I'm my 3Rd year of my degree. So you will be fine with those subjects.

There are a few unis that specify two sciences, but there are loads more that don't.

Just email the unis you are interested in and ask them if they would except you, and make sure you apply for accredited courses.
Excellent reply, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest