Online Relationship at Uni?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I met a girl a couple months ago and we were best friends for a while before it became something more.
    Not long after she moved back to her home country and now we essentially have an online relationship just through texting.
    I'm just about to move into uni this weekend and I want to experience all uni has to offer, I want to meet new people and experience new things and I'm not sure I want being tied to someone thousands of miles away to be a part of that.
    I love her a lot, she's one of the most important people to me and I don't want to lose her. I'm just confused and unsure what to do so I hoped coming here could maybe give some unbiased opinions.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littaller)
    Hi!

I met a girl a couple months ago and we were best friends for a while before it became something more.
    Not long after she moved back to her home country and now we essentially have an online relationship just through texting.
    I'm just about to move into uni this weekend and I want to experience all uni has to offer, I want to meet new people and experience new things and I'm not sure I want being tied to someone thousands of miles away to be a part of that.
    I love her a lot, she's one of the most important people to me and I don't want to lose her. I'm just confused and unsure what to do so I hoped coming here could maybe give some unbiased opinions.

Thanks!
    You could have encapsulated this by the phrase "I wanna get laid during Fresher's week".

Have at it son.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littaller)
    Hi!

Thanks!
    You're in a tricky situation there and obviously only you two can decide what to do about your relationship.

I can give you my experience from both sides of the argument though. I was in a relationship when I went to uni and stuck at it for way too long, even though it wasn't working, because I was so attached to that person and we had been friends for years. I knew I wanted to be single and my own person but was tied down...and it made us both miserable.

Having said that when I went travelling I had a boyfriend and stayed with him...and it was the best decision of my life!

This article on the site gives advice on making long distance relationships work at uni if you're interested.

Have you tried speaking to your girlfriend about your options? And have you thought about what your priorities are? I think it will take a lot of thought time but actually being long distance will probably help with that

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Articles:

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.