Turn on thread page Beta

Low-Fat Alcoholic Drinks? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone knew of any alcoholic drinks that were relatively low in fat that are served in pubs (i.e not 'make it yourself' drinks)? I'm currently on a diet and whilst I know it's best to cut out all alcohol, I can't do that lol. My usual drink is vodka and diet coke, but I'm trying to cut out diet coke as well due to the health risks, so I'm not sure what to go for now. Maybe vodka and tonic? :confused: Any other alternatives welcome!

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean low calorie, not low fat? :p:

This might be helpful: http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories...l/Alcohol.html

ReputationRep:
    Ditto... other than things like Baileys and eggnog and Dooleys (sp? you know, toffee vodka) I can't think of any alcohol that would really have fat in it!

ReputationRep:
    Light beer? Or vodka and low-calorie Indian tonic water.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that vodka, lime and soda has the lowest calories of any alcoholic drink. And yummy it is too.

ReputationRep:
    vodka and orange juice?

i know what you mean about alcohol..my biggest weakness on a diet
    but i tend to skip dinner and replace the kcal with booze instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    I assume you mean low calorie, not low fat? :p:

This might be helpful: http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories...l/Alcohol.html
    lol, yep

Just looking at the website, Gin and Tonic is pretty low in calories but I've never had it before, is it nice?

(Original post by kateyrib)
    vodka and orange juice?

i know what you mean about alcohol..my biggest weakness on a diet
    but i tend to skip dinner and replace the kcal with booze instead
    Yeah that's what I usually do but I feel awful the next day, so I try and eat a jacket potato before I go out to try and soak some of it up lol.

Both vodka and orange and vodka, lime and soda sound pretty good, might have to start drinking those instead, thanks for the suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRose)
    lol, yep

Just looking at the website, Gin and Tonic is pretty low in calories but I've never had it before, is it nice?
    I don't like it personally, I only like gin with fanta, orange or lemonade, but I'm fussy like that And actually I don't like tonic in general so don't take my word on it!

[/unhelpful] :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure vodka is fat free.

and avoid alcopops, even in cocktails, because of all the sugar.

i guess juice mixers is the best choice...

anything thick, dense, creamy or not clear is probably going to be less low fat, low calorie.

gin and tonic is quite nice actually.
    i tried it a few months ago and had never had gin before.
    saying that, never drank it since.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say moonshine since you won't need much of it, but not many pubs serve that

ReputationRep:
    Drinks in a pub have no fat its the sugar and alcohol that give out the calories, mainly the sugar.

Guinness (not very suitable for clubs tho) is reletively low in calories compared to other drinks from a tap. Theres also spirits and soda water like everyone else has said.

Theres nothing wrong with diet coke if your only drinking it on a night out, I'd be more worried if you were drinking it day in day out.

ReputationRep:
    Vodka, lime and soda or vodka and diet coke are probably your best bets that taste nice IMO. If you have vodka and orange then that's about the same number of cals as vodka and a non diet mixer so not really helping at all.

ReputationRep:
    Citris-infused alcoholic beverages are your friend.

Apparently the citris does something to speed up your metabolism and break down fats, which isn't a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    Drinks in a pub have no fat its the sugar and alcohol that give out the calories, mainly the sugar.

Guinness (not very suitable for clubs tho) is reletively low in calories compared to other drinks from a tap. Theres also spirits and soda water like everyone else has said.

Theres nothing wrong with diet coke if your only drinking it on a night out, I'd be more worried if you were drinking it day in day out.
    I thought Guinness had a ridiculous amount of calories in it??

ReputationRep:
    :dito:

Anyway I love Canadian Club kthx.

ReputationRep:
    Not according to what it says on the back of a can. It has calories beer has more or something.

ReputationRep:
    Vodka straight? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)

I was, sometimes 2 cans a day, and then started wondering why I kept getting headaches and aching joints, googled it, read up on aspartame and haven't drank it since the day of my original post. Feel much better now, though am reluctant to touch diet coke again at the minute!

(Original post by brimstone)
    Vodka straight? :p:
    That's normally at the end of the night, like to ease myself in gradually first :p:

Started drinking vodka and tonic the other night and found I quite like it, looks like it's to become my new drink

ReputationRep:
    the worst is vodka red bull... my fave drink :|

erm, vodka and tonic yes.... not the nicest but better for you!

ReputationRep:
    diets dont work; instead change your eating patterns

if you go on a diet, you normally put most of the weight back on

but if you change what you eat for good, you wont feel the need to eat junk food!

dont diet!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.