What laptop do you have for uni and why?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    As above, what device did you buy for University and are you still happy with the features?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    As above, what device did you buy for University and are you still happy with the features?
    I study maths but you still need a laptop to access notes, have for personal use etc as well as accessing software for coding though that can be done by remoting in (not sure if every uni has it) so really, memory is not an issue for laptops as long as it's not poxy. I guess someone should only really care if they want to do a lot of gaming. Heck, one of my friends was using a 5 year old laptop

ReputationRep:
    HP X360 (11.6):
    I do Computing

I brought a smaller laptop because I commute to university but I don't use it in lectures or tutorials etc, just when I have 3 hour breaks in between. My laptop has webcam, touch smart and convertible. I'm glad I brought it, but you don't need a laptop specifically for university, especially in lectures you will just get distracted and end up on Facebook etc. Overall, I'm happy with my laptop.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-x360-...&source=others

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Dell XPS 13 that I purchased a while ago to replace my tablet in terms of size, haven't regretted it and have been using it for the majority of my daily tasks so far (course haven't really started though).

I also bought a Gigabyte Aero 14 laptop to give me something with more oomph. As a gamer, content creator and Forensic Computing student I won't be surviving on a dual core i5 and 8GB of RAM. The portability aspect is nice, for example I'll be taking it to a gaming night this evening. It's definitely not my ideal solution though. But on the other hand I've already got enough gear in my room to trip the fuse so adding a power hungry PC isn't sounding like a good idea.

I did build a new desktop, specifically for university but didn't end up bringing it. I miss the power but it's big and heavy enough that I'd struggle finding room for it and just generally not all that convenient (factor in other hardware to bring for example). When I move into shared accommodation next year I will be bringing a desktop with me but will probably get something smaller and lighter.

ReputationRep:
    I had a MacBook Pro for uni and an iMac at home. Best computers I've ever owned by far. I will never by a Windows machine ever again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    HP X360 (11.6):
    I do Computing

I brought a smaller laptop because I commute to university but I don't use it in lectures or tutorials etc, just when I have 3 hour breaks in between. My laptop has webcam, touch smart and convertible. I'm glad I brought it, but you don't need a laptop specifically for university, especially in lectures you will just get distracted and end up on Facebook etc. Overall, I'm happy with my laptop.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-x360-...&source=others
    Does the fan make really loud noise? Because hp are known to make loud noise and overheating. I have a pavilion dv6 and that piece of S is loud and overheats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potatoo)
    Does the fan make really loud noise? Because hp are known to make loud noise and overheating. I have a pavilion dv6 and that piece of S is loud and overheats.
    No, mines never done that an dive had mine for a year. I have 3 other HP laptops at home at they've been fine. I've had them for about nearly 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Hey can you guys help me? HPpavilion????

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post68757286

ReputationRep:
    acer aspire switch because i can pull the keyboard off and use it as a tablet
    and even as a laptop, the screen is touch screen

ReputationRep:
    11" MacBook Air, I got it for about half the price it cost brand new in March from a friend. I have a Hackintosh desktop that I used, so I got this for the portability, but since getting it, I found I can do all my work just as well with this, so I'll be selling my desktop to another friend soon-ish. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Pro though, just in case I'll need the extra performance down the line.

ReputationRep:
    After all my considering and waiting to see what black Friday deals there were I ended up buying a thinkpad X240 from Ebay. SSD, I5-4th gen, 8gb ram. It's a small and good machine that was cheaper then the older thinkpads because it doesn't have the whole fanbase of the x220s.

Had it for maybe a week now and it's a good little laptop. I don't imagine I'll be doing much heavy work on it anyway as I have a high powered desktop to do anything out of lectures but if I need to run things like visual studio (and I do) then the time between lectures that I can't go home for(I live 40+ minutes from uni) are no longer wasted.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.