The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine A100 2017 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurpleDot
Hi, I got pre interview rejections from Cambridge and Bristol. Interviews from Keele and Liverpool. Got an offer from Keele very quickly after interview but not heard anything from Liverpool . If I get Liverpool I will go and see both Universities again as Keele have an offer holders day early April which I have booked.

WBU?

Congratulations on your Keele offer! I applied l'pool, Manchester (offer), cardiff ( rejection pre interview) and Bristol (offer) however my fave is l'pool so got my fingers crossed. How did everyone find the interview? I found a couple in particular v difficult but I also thought that about Manchester and Bristol but I got offers for them too so idk
Anyone know when offers will be given out.
Original post by S1966
Anyone know when offers will be given out.

On the day of the interview they said don't expect to hear back before at least the 31st of March. Which is also when they gave them out last year, so Probably next Friday.
(edited 7 years ago)
This time next week it's all over!
I've booked the weekend off work so I can either celebrate or drown my sorrows 👀🤷🏼*♀️
I'm going to spend Friday learning Metallica songs on guitar so that aggressive downpicking can relieve some frustration
Hi, I got pre interview rejections from Cambridge and Bristol. Interviews from Keele and Liverpool. Got an offer from Keele very quickly after interview but not heard anything from Liverpool . If I get Liverpool I will go and see both Universities again as Keele have an offer holders day early April which I have booked.

WBU?

Oh congrats on your Keele offer!
I applied to UEA offer HYMS offer and Liverpool still waiting :smile:
Only applied to three med cause I thought I would be rejected from everywhere so I applied to two biomed backups.
Original post by jamesltwx
Oh congrats on your Keele offer!
I applied to UEA offer HYMS offer and Liverpool still waiting :smile:
Only applied to three med cause I thought I would be rejected from everywhere so I applied to two biomed backups.

Any ideas where you will firm? And why? I'm in a similar position! Congrats on the offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Orangeflower6
Any ideas where you will firm? And why? I'm in a similar position! Congrats on the offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offers!
I was originally considering HYMS because I wanted a change from studying in Norwich. But after visiting their offer holders day I was a little underwhelmed by their campus and facilities at York. The HYMS building and clinical workshop areas look dated. However, York as a city is more lively than Norwich. Although both course structure and approaches are similar I am thinking of firming UEA. Because it seems like they invest a lot in their students (in terms of teaching buildings, clinical and anatomy suites as well as accommodation). The Norwich and Norfolk University is also walking distance from campus.
I asked HYMS students whether HYMS was their first choice and for many of the people I asked it was the only offer they had received. Whereas, in UEA for many people its their first choice among other unis.
All of this is very subjective and all boils down on personal preferences.
And if I am lucky enough to receive Liverpool I still think I will firm UEA just because of the organisation of the med school. L'pool was one of the first med schools in the UK to implement PBL but they have since changed back and forth from Lecture based and CBL so I am a little hesitant in firming Liverpool. But the city is amazing and would seem like a very enjoyable place to study medicine.
Original post by soon2bedead
Congratulations on your Keele offer! I applied l'pool, Manchester (offer), cardiff ( rejection pre interview) and Bristol (offer) however my fave is l'pool so got my fingers crossed. How did everyone find the interview? I found a couple in particular v difficult but I also thought that about Manchester and Bristol but I got offers for them too so idk

If you don't mind me asking, could I know why you prefer liverpool over manchester and bristol? Especially since it is waaayyyy harder to get an offer from both manchester and bristol (Many rejections from those unis this year apparently)? I mean based on ranking (which is sort of what i look at), these two unis are so high on the list and liverpool is pretty low and i even read that the student satisfactory levels are pretty low (and so are the average grades that their students get)! I mean we all have our own reasons but why is liverpool your fave? :smile:
Original post by jamesltwx
Congrats on your offers!
I was originally considering HYMS because I wanted a change from studying in Norwich. But after visiting their offer holders day I was a little underwhelmed by their campus and facilities at York. The HYMS building and clinical workshop areas look dated. However, York as a city is more lively than Norwich. Although both course structure and approaches are similar I am thinking of firming UEA. Because it seems like they invest a lot in their students (in terms of teaching buildings, clinical and anatomy suites as well as accommodation). The Norwich and Norfolk University is also walking distance from campus.
I asked HYMS students whether HYMS was their first choice and for many of the people I asked it was the only offer they had received. Whereas, in UEA for many people its their first choice among other unis.
All of this is very subjective and all boils down on personal preferences.
And if I am lucky enough to receive Liverpool I still think I will firm UEA just because of the organisation of the med school. L'pool was one of the first med schools in the UK to implement PBL but they have since changed back and forth from Lecture based and CBL so I am a little hesitant in firming Liverpool. But the city is amazing and would seem like a very enjoyable place to study medicine.

Thank you for such a detailed response, I was allocated to Hull and the facilities were amazing at the open day, making my decision much harder :frown: I will take into consideration what you have said!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plato1
If you don't mind me asking, could I know why you prefer liverpool over manchester and bristol? Especially since it is waaayyyy harder to get an offer from both manchester and bristol (Many rejections from those unis this year apparently)? I mean based on ranking (which is sort of what i look at), these two unis are so high on the list and liverpool is pretty low and i even read that the student satisfactory levels are pretty low (and so are the average grades that their students get)! I mean we all have our own reasons but why is liverpool your fave? :smile:

i really don't know why tbh i just really like the city ngl i'm also from manchester so i know manchester fairly well, bristol is a pretty expensive whereas liverpool is so cheap! therefore i don't want to be poor for five years at bristol. also i don't think it matters where you go as long as you're coming out with a medical degree that seems to be the most important thing. also bristol since it is so competitive i feel that perhaps i would struggle to keep up with the people there becos a lot of people who apply to oxbridge have bristol as their insurance. also the course at liverpool seems less academically focussed which i prefer and i really do love all the patient contact they have and the early clinical exposure is a huge selling point for me. manchester can send me off to Preston too (blegh) it all seems quite minor but it's l'pool for me, but i don't mind manchester if i don't get l'pool tbh i'm amazed i even have a choice :smile:)
Original post by soon2bedead
i really don't know why tbh i just really like the city ngl i'm also from manchester so i know manchester fairly well, bristol is a pretty expensive whereas liverpool is so cheap! therefore i don't want to be poor for five years at bristol. also i don't think it matters where you go as long as you're coming out with a medical degree that seems to be the most important thing. also bristol since it is so competitive i feel that perhaps i would struggle to keep up with the people there becos a lot of people who apply to oxbridge have bristol as their insurance. also the course at liverpool seems less academically focussed which i prefer and i really do love all the patient contact they have and the early clinical exposure is a huge selling point for me. manchester can send me off to Preston too (blegh) it all seems quite minor but it's l'pool for me, but i don't mind manchester if i don't get l'pool tbh i'm amazed i even have a choice :smile:)

Those are good reasons - Bristol is SO expensive, I have a friend there and she complains about that all the time. Well done for getting an interview there. Dont know if there will be many Cambridge rejects there as the PS for Cambridge is so different to what Bristol want. I applied to Cambridge but got rejected as I messed up the BMAT and was rejected by Bristol pre-interview with STATS of All A* at GSCE and 4A* at Alevel achieved and 750 in the UKCAT. I thought that with my stats that I would have had 4/4 interviews. Instead got 2/4 interviews and hoping for 2/2 offers from interviews. Keele is in the bag and this time next week I will hope to hear from Liverpool.

I have since been told that Bristol is not that good a med school - it is only the fact that it is a nice trendy city is making it popular. Although maybe the person who told me that just did so because they rejected me!
Those are good reasons - Bristol is SO expensive, I have a friend there and she complains about that all the time. Well done for getting an interview there. Dont know if there will be many Cambridge rejects there as the PS for Cambridge is so different to what Bristol want. I applied to Cambridge but got rejected as I messed up the BMAT and was rejected by Bristol pre-interview with STATS of All A* at GSCE and 4A* at Alevel achieved and 750 in the UKCAT. I thought that with my stats that I would have had 4/4 interviews. Instead got 2/4 interviews and hoping for 2/2 offers from interviews. Keele is in the bag and this time next week I will hope to hear from Liverpool.

I have since been told that Bristol is not that good a med school - it is only the fact that it is a nice trendy city is making it popular. Although maybe the person who told me that just did so because they rejected me!

Don't think there's such thing as a good/bad med skl, think it just comes down to personal preference and teaching style because you all come out equal

aww that's such a shame you were rejected from two when your stats would've ensured you a place at many other schools like manchester or newcastle, lmao idk i just feel like you're gonna come out with the same degree at the end of the day and so i'm looking at quality of life over the uni now :smile: also have friends who go to l'pool and manchester so feel like i would know those two places more. well done on Keele btw hope you get into l'pool too :smile:)
Does anyone know how pbl/ cbl they are? I initially thought they are fully integrated but I've been hearing mixed things now. Are there a lot of lectures? (Which I would prefer)
Original post by mimareads
Does anyone know how pbl/ cbl they are? I initially thought they are fully integrated but I've been hearing mixed things now. Are there a lot of lectures? (Which I would prefer)

There are around 8-10 lectures a week including a mix of science, professionalism, Psychology and sociology, population perspective, therapeutics and patient safety. CBL is not that large an aspect of the course really. There's a CBL case per block (every three weeks) so you get the case, work on it yourself for a few hours (usually spend no more than two/three hours total), then you have a two hour small group CBL session followed by a two hour large CBL session the next week. So there's only 4 contact, recorded hours of CBL then whatever work you're willing to put into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aleveltimes
There are around 8-10 lectures a week including a mix of science, professionalism, Psychology and sociology, population perspective, therapeutics and patient safety. CBL is not that large an aspect of the course really. There's a CBL case per block (every three weeks) so you get the case, work on it yourself for a few hours (usually spend no more than two/three hours total), then you have a two hour small group CBL session followed by a two hour large CBL session the next week. So there's only 4 contact, recorded hours of CBL then whatever work you're willing to put into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that was very helpful. I already have an offer from Keele and am waiting to hear from Liverpool. To be honest if I get Liverpool then I will not know what to do.

Which halls do most medics stay in at Liverpool ? If you have 9am lectures then maybe being on campus may be better. But I have heard that Carnatic is far more social.
Does anyone know the last date people will hear back from? It's the only one I'm waiting on now! Thanks :smile:
Original post by GenericEm
Does anyone know the last date people will hear back from? It's the only one I'm waiting on now! Thanks :smile:

31st of March for everyone, Good luck ✊🏾
Original post by Aisosa
31st of March for everyone, Good luck ✊🏾

Omg how do you know everyone hears back then??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending