Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently taking IB. I know that if you want to be a psychiatrist you have to get into medicine in university. Although, i'm currently still unsure whether I want my career to be set on psychiatry,because i am still open to the option of a more business sector of psychology. I was wondering if it was possible to get into psychiatry if I took psychology as an undergraduate major? Or if the only way to psychiatry is taking medicine. If i can take psychology, and by the end of the term fixate on being a psychiatrist i could still take another major or get into medicine.

    The problem with me taking medicine is i don't have most of the required subjects such as HLs in biology, chemistry, physics, or mathematics. My subjects in HL are economics, geography, language B and for SL it is biology, mathematics and english A. And is it possible to apply in some universities as medicine and some for psychology? Some unis have lower requirements for medicine so i want to try it out if it is possible. And if i dont get into medicine is it possible to change it to psychology with the explanation of intending to enter medicine for psychiatry?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

    You sound thoroughly confused! You need to sit down and work out what the differences between the two are, what the career paths and entry paths are, what subjects and grades you need and what you've got and then consider your options. Then you need to pick one and go with it. You can apply for medicine and put your additional choice as psychology but not really the other way around.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2016
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.