The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nursing applicants 2017

Hello, fellow applicants :smile: I noticed that there is a thread like this for 2016 applicants, but not for 2017 -- since UCAS is live now and the deadline is in a few months, it seemed a good time to start one.

A few questions to start off with (feel free to skip or answer these as you wish)
How are you all getting on with your applications?
What are your choices, or if you're undecided, which ones are you torn between?
Have you attended any open days yet?
Any concerns?

I'm currently on a gap year and so lucky in that applying, at this stage, is much less stressful than it would have been last year. I'm more or less done now, just waiting for a reference from my college tutor from last year.

My choices are:
Nottingham Trent University
Royal Veterinary College
Hartpury College
Sparsholt College
Plumpton College

I look forward to hearing from you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! Yea I've just noticed there are no 2017 posts yet! I'm struggling with my choices big time. I've been to Middlesex, RVC, huntingdon, college of west anglia. I'm going to put Middlesex as my top choice and RVC second but I have no idea about my other three choices. I was so sure I was going to like the other 2 universities but I really didn't! What open days have you been to?? What did you like about the uni's you've chosen?

xx
Hi :smile:

I'm looking at going back to Uni in 2017 studying vet nursing I've took two gap years, my choices at the moment are Nottingham Trent Uni, Myerscough College, Harper Adams Uni and Askham Bryan. I've been to visit them all for open days except Askham Bryan which is next month. How are you getting on with work experience? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jade.1
Hey! Yea I've just noticed there are no 2017 posts yet! I'm struggling with my choices big time. I've been to Middlesex, RVC, huntingdon, college of west anglia. I'm going to put Middlesex as my top choice and RVC second but I have no idea about my other three choices. I was so sure I was going to like the other 2 universities but I really didn't! What open days have you been to?? What did you like about the uni's you've chosen?

xx

Hi, thank you for your reply! Yeah, making the choices is really tough ... I made mine before visiting any open days as I wanted to get my application done early and felt confident that I would like the universities, but visiting them all first would have been wiser, really.

Since applying I have been to Open Days at Nottingham Trent University and at Sparsholt College.

I absolutely loved Nottingham Trent. The tutors seemed brilliant and are all so nice, I like the way the course is structured (including one entire year of placement which means less constant changing from term to term, and being able to save on accommodation costs). The campus is beautiful, the facilities are extensive and modern, and there's a huge range of animals on campus. But possibly the thing which most attracts me to it is that they explained that they have plenty of opportunities to volunteer with the animals there outside of class time.

Sparsholt College was also really nice; it is not my first choice due to distance and accommodation, but I really like what I've seen about the course itself and would certainly consider going there.

I'm going to visit RVC at the end of this month. Hopefully I'll like it as much if not even more than the others.

Hmm, with the ones you didn't like so much, would you still consider going, or do you feel they'd really not be right for you? If the latter, are there any others you'd consider, even if you can't get to the open days? If I were personally in that position, I would apply to those I was unsure about rather than those I definitely didn't like, and just make sure to see them before it's time to choose your firm. :smile:

What did you like most about Middlesex and RVC?
Reply 4
Original post by Daniiobeirne

I'm looking at going back to Uni in 2017 studying vet nursing I've took two gap years, my choices at the moment are Nottingham Trent Uni, Myerscough College, Harper Adams Uni and Askham Bryan. I've been to visit them all for open days except Askham Bryan which is next month. How are you getting on with work experience? :smile:

Hello! I luckily have all the work experience I need already -- five weeks total in two different veterinary practices, and lots of volunteering at an animal shelter. I really loved it and can't wait to do placements and practicals as part of a course. But I'm taking a gap year also, as I couldn't quite get all the work experience I needed to apply last year. How are you getting on with yours? :smile:

Hmm, how did you like Nottingham Trent, Myerscough and Harper Adams? I've been to Nottingham Trent also and think it will probably be my first choice.
Reply 5
Original post by zabveniye
Hi, thank you for your reply! Yeah, making the choices is really tough ... I made mine before visiting any open days as I wanted to get my application done early and felt confident that I would like the universities, but visiting them all first would have been wiser, really.

Since applying I have been to Open Days at Nottingham Trent University and at Sparsholt College.

I absolutely loved Nottingham Trent. The tutors seemed brilliant and are all so nice, I like the way the course is structured (including one entire year of placement which means less constant changing from term to term, and being able to save on accommodation costs). The campus is beautiful, the facilities are extensive and modern, and there's a huge range of animals on campus. But possibly the thing which most attracts me to it is that they explained that they have plenty of opportunities to volunteer with the animals there outside of class time.

Sparsholt College was also really nice; it is not my first choice due to distance and accommodation, but I really like what I've seen about the course itself and would certainly consider going there.

I'm going to visit RVC at the end of this month. Hopefully I'll like it as much if not even more than the others.

Hmm, with the ones you didn't like so much, would you still consider going, or do you feel they'd really not be right for you? If the latter, are there any others you'd consider, even if you can't get to the open days? If I were personally in that position, I would apply to those I was unsure about rather than those I definitely didn't like, and just make sure to see them before it's time to choose your firm. :smile:

What did you like most about Middlesex and RVC?

Ah I'm glad you loved Nottingham Trent, that will be one of my choices but I won't be able to attend any open days before I apply so basically just going to choose the uni's I like the look of and which seem to have the best facilities and then go to the open days afterwards. sparsholt will also be one of my choices! What didn't you like about the accommodation?

Huntingdon is a definite no, it's in a tiny college building purposely for vet nurse and I think they do a dog grooming course also, so there's only about 20 students, I just don't fancy a small isolated, quiet experience if you know what I mean. I am in two minds about anglia Ruskin, the course is divided between two campuses which are about half hour away from each other and it seems there's no parking facilities which means paying out for buses etc and it just seems like a lot of hassle!

With Middlesex they were the first uni to produce the veterinary nurse degree, they've set the bar for all over uni's which attracted me, I like the fact it's a big uni So you get to mix with everybody, it's a 3 year course for a bachelors degree rather than 4 and it's close to me. I really liked the veterinary tutors as well they were all so lovely! To be honest I didn't get to see all of the facilities as they were running late and I had to leave.
RVC was by far my favourite but I don't have a B in my maths GCSE hence why it's not my first choice, it's more of a risk choice. It's a campus especially for vets/vet nurses/research students, they are the no.1 vet school in Europe and no.3 in the world, and they have the no.1 best referral hospital in Europe on campus! That all sold me straight away! The facilities they have are amazing and the accommodation Is all on campus.

Do you know if all the uni's set out the theory and placement in blocks, like 14 weeks of theory and then 10weeks of placement which you can go home for? Or do some universities do it differently where you have to stay there the whole time?

Also has the order of your options changed now?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello! I luckily have all the work experience I need already -- five weeks total in two different veterinary practices, and lots of volunteering at an animal shelter. I really loved it and can't wait to do placements and practicals as part of a course. But I'm taking a gap year also, as I couldn't quite get all the work experience I needed to apply last year. How are you getting on with yours? :smile:

Hmm, how did you like Nottingham Trent, Myerscough and Harper Adams? I've been to Nottingham Trent also and think it will probably be my first choice.

Hello! :smile:
Aw that's great that you've got all yours! I went to uni for a year and after passing the first year left I did animal behaviour but I've wanted to do vet nursing since I was little! Then I've worked for two years and am applying to hopefully start in september. I haven't got any yet but before I apply I'll have three weeks and then I have another two weeks booked for July so hopefully this will be okay! They all seem like really good unis / colleges but I think my first choice will be Nottingham Trent I really enjoyed it there and the course and the tutors sounded amazing :smile: but Harper Adams and Myerscough were also really good I just loved the accomadation at Nottingham! :smile: x
Hello, fellow applicants I noticed that there is a thread like this for 2016 applicants, but not for 2017 -- since UCAS is live now and the deadline is in a few months, it seemed a good time to start one. A few questions to start off with (feel free to skip or answer these as you wish) How are you all getting on with your applications? What are your choices, or if you're undecided, which ones are you torn between? Have you attended any open days yet? Any concerns? I'm currently on a gap year and so lucky in that applying, at this stage, is much less stressful than it would have been last year. I'm more or less done now, just waiting for a reference from my college tutor from last year. My choices are: Nottingham Trent University Royal Veterinary College Hartpury College Sparsholt College Plumpton College I look forward to hearing from you!
Hello guys, I'm so happy someone started this thread! I don't know anyone who's applying for this course haha :smile: I sent my application off last week for veterinary nursing at Bristol, RVC, Middlesex (Leeds), Harper Adams and Hartpury. I've been to open days at Bristol, RVC and Harper and fell in love with them all. I also visited Middlesex's Hendon campus but I didn't really like it. Has anyone been to the Leeds open day and if so, what did you think? And Hartpury? I have interviews with Middlesex uni at their Leeds campus on the 2nd December and at Bristol on the 7th December. I am absolutely bricking it tbh. My only concern is that I only have 1 week work experience at present (in a veterinary practice) as I haven't had enough time this year with summer school and work commitments. God knows how I have interviews when I have basically no experience haha. I do have about 5 weeks booked for the upcoming months though :biggrin: Has anyone else applied yet and if so, where?

I'm in the process of applying at the minute haven't put the application through yet as my work experience is in December and January so I don't have any ATM the ones I'm applying for are Nottingham Trent Uni, Harper Adams, Myerscough and Askham Bryan up to now been to all open days except Askham Bryan which is this Saturday :smile: well done for getting interviews though! Good luck!!! :smile:, x
Hey. Anyone else have an interview for Harper ? Im soo nervous :O
Reply 10
Original post by im.a.witch

Hey I've only just sent my application off. How long did it take for you to get your offer? Where else have you applied? Good luck!!
Original post by Jade.1
Hey I've only just sent my application off. How long did it take for you to get your offer? Where else have you applied? Good luck!!

Sent it off about a month or so ago. Just got interview
Only like Edinburgh Vet nurse course all the others I didn't like the UNIS, Applied for vet bioscience at other places
I've got an interview with hartpury on January 18th :biggrin:

I got offered an interview today. So excited!!
Original post by xrowrow262x
I got offered an interview today. So excited!!

When is yours ?
When is yours ?

13th January
Reply 16
Hey everyone, so far i've had offers from anglia ruskin in cambrige and sparsholt, i have an interview this monday at middlesex. Has anybody else had an interview with middlesex yet, i dont know what to expect! How is everybody else getting on?

xx
Original post by georgiabeth15
Hello guys, I'm so happy someone started this thread! I don't know anyone who's applying for this course haha :smile: I sent my application off last week for veterinary nursing at Bristol, RVC, Middlesex (Leeds), Harper Adams and Hartpury. I've been to open days at Bristol, RVC and Harper and fell in love with them all. I also visited Middlesex's Hendon campus but I didn't really like it. Has anyone been to the Leeds open day and if so, what did you think? And Hartpury? I have interviews with Middlesex uni at their Leeds campus on the 2nd December and at Bristol on the 7th December. I am absolutely bricking it tbh. My only concern is that I only have 1 week work experience at present (in a veterinary practice) as I haven't had enough time this year with summer school and work commitments. God knows how I have interviews when I have basically no experience haha. I do have about 5 weeks booked for the upcoming months though :biggrin: Has anyone else applied yet and if so, where?

Hey! I've applied to Harper , hartpury and RVC and have interviews for Harper and hartpury , I've visited hartpury and it's absolutely amazing, it has great facilities and I fell in love with the campus , I haven't been to harper or RVC so what do people think about these ?
I've got two weeks work experience so far and I'm desperately trying to line things up before my interviews but I just can't see it happening , it's fine as long as it's completed before I start right ?
Many thanks guys !
Original post by georgiabeth15
I've got an interview with hartpury on January 18th :biggrin:

Same !!! 😊😊
Reply 19
Original post by lowriehamilton
Hey! I've applied to Harper , hartpury and RVC and have interviews for Harper and hartpury , I've visited hartpury and it's absolutely amazing, it has great facilities and I fell in love with the campus , I haven't been to harper or RVC so what do people think about these ?
I've got two weeks work experience so far and I'm desperately trying to line things up before my interviews but I just can't see it happening , it's fine as long as it's completed before I start right ?
Many thanks guys !

Yea they will just put that as one of your conditions before you start I think. RVC is amazing I loved it there. So many facilities and a big referral hospital on campus. All accommodation on campus aswell, vet nurses have their own houses grouped together. I know it's very competitive to get into RVC though.

Quick Reply

Latest