Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap Year Ideas - would be grateful for some help/advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am just starting my gap year (an unexpected one) and am thinking about how I'm going to keep myself usefully occupied over the next 11+ months! I am going to reapply for econ/joint honours this year, had applied for straight econ last year.

I am interested in working at an investment bank/consultancy firm but also want to keep becoming a CA/actuary open - so ideally get some work experience in those fields too.

These are my current ideas for my gap year - any advice/help/tips/new ideas that you could suggest would be appreciated

- reapply for entry 2017, change my PS - no Oxbridge deadline but I do want to get it in soon
    - travel (make the best of those off peak prices )
    - actually get some experiences in e.g. working/volunteering abroad - not just for competencies sake but to enrich me as a person
    - paid part time work/tutor
    - work experience (any particular tips on how to score some good ones?And should I find some related to econ?)

Possible Ideas:
    - apply for school leaver schemes
    - learn to code
    - study accounting/get any accounting qualifications (does anyone know anything about CFAB?)

Really, thank you so much (in advance), I would love to make the most out of my gap year
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novatech)
    Hello everyone,

I am just starting my gap year (an unexpected one) and am thinking about how I'm going to keep myself usefully occupied over the next 11+ months! I am going to reapply for econ/joint honours this year, had applied for straight econ last year.

I am interested in working at an investment bank/consultancy firm but also want to keep becoming a CA/actuary open - so ideally get some work experience in those fields too.

These are my current ideas for my gap year - any advice/help/tips/new ideas that you could suggest would be appreciated

- reapply for entry 2017, change my PS - no Oxbridge deadline but I do want to get it in soon
    - travel (make the best of those off peak prices )
    - actually get some experiences in e.g. working/volunteering abroad - not just for competencies sake but to enrich me as a person
    - paid part time work/tutor
    - work experience (any particular tips on how to score some good ones?And should I find some related to econ?)

Possible Ideas:
    - apply for school leaver schemes
    - learn to code
    - study accounting/get any accounting qualifications (does anyone know anything about CFAB?)

Really, thank you so much (in advance), I would love to make the most out of my gap year
    Bit late for any school leaver stuff, you should have around December last year.

Overall, your plan is good - throw in applying to a level insight days and you're gucci.

As for Work Exp: cold call and cold email.. Plus use any familial contacts or friend of friend contacts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.