Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    Hey, so ive just started year 13 and have had to start reading about universities. Currently i'd like to study Biochemistry at Aberystwyth. I thought you studied at uni and then went to get a job but from further reading i realise its not that simple. I'd like to go into research and have read that id need to get a masters to do so. What opportunities would i have with just a bachelors? would i have to go to a different university to get my Masters? What do you need to get into a Masters course? How long is a masters, is it like a bachelors but just more in depth? Is there anything that i should know too to help my chances of getting a job in research? Also like to add that i'd like to do a sandwich course.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

    If you want to stay in science you need a masters if not a PhD. With a bachelor's degree you may be able to get a research tech post but those are also difficult to come by now with just a BSc and you won't have much if any career progression. You don't have to go elsewhere for a masters but it is advisable. Entry requirements and info about types of masters can be found online. A sandwich year and any other research experience is vital for getting a job in research.
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.