Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have a HNC in Mechatronics but am not interested in the electrical side of things and would be looking to study a Mechanical engineering degree. I have phoned some Universities and asked them whether they will accept it as entry however most have said that it would be considered on a case by case process. I was wondering if anyone has got into University with a HNC before and if so which type would be likely to accept. I’m not hopeful for any of the higher level universities as I know that they pretty much just take on people who have got A levels. I tried to look at how much UCAS points the HNC would be worth however after looking around the internet for a bit it seems that because they are a higher level qualification than A levels, they don’t count for any UCAS points and instead contribute towards credits?If it helps I also have a LVL 3 BTEC National Diploma in Engineering, which according to the UCAS point calculator equates to 80 points.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionableBlue)
    I have a HNC in Mechatronics but am not interested in the electricalof things and would be looking to study a Mechanical engineering degree. I havephoned some Universities and asked them whether they will accept it as entryhowever most have said that it would be considered on a case by case process. I was wondering if anyone has got into University with a HNC before and if sowhich type would be likely to accept. I’m not hopeful for any of the higherlevel universities as I know that they pretty much just take on people who havegot A levels. I tried to look at how much UCAS points the HNC would beworth however after looking around the internet for a bit it seems that becausethey are a higher level qualification than A levels, they don’t count for anyUCAS points and instead contribute towards credits?If it helps I also have a LVL 3 BTEC National Diploma inEngineering, which according to the UCAS point calculator equates to 80 points.
    Have you looked at Scottish universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Have you looked at Scottish universities?
    I was hoping to stay in England or not far away from England due to family etc. Can I ask why you ask about Scottish universities in particular? Do they allow for HNC qualification in a different way to unis in other parts of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    A HNC is a level 4 qualification , if your maths knowledge is good enough ( there's a lot of maths in most engineering degrees) i can see absolutely no reason why you wouldn;t be offered a place if you application was good enough ... some unis may offer you credit towards some or all of the first year based on your HNC - this is where the 'case by case' stuff comes in ;do you enter as a first year , with credit towards your first year or to the second year ?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually completed the HNC yet, I am now studying the final year and will hopefully be applying to go to uni in 2017.

I am taking an AS in maths this year just to make sure my maths knowledge is suitable and although it might not count towards anything I think it would show willing on my application.

I would try to enter as a first year as I think doing the first year would back up my maths knowledge even further and prepare me better for the later years.

This sounds positive towards me getting into a university as I was a little worried that the HNC wouldn't be a suitable qualification to get in with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionableBlue)
    I was hoping to stay in England or not far away from England due to family etc. Can I ask why you ask about Scottish universities in particular? Do they allow for HNC qualification in a different way to unis in other parts of Britain?
    Scottish universities start at a lower level than English ones, and hence are probably more open to HNC students. I did my degree in Scotland and there were HNC/HND students who transferred over to BEng degrees.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.