Living in a flat or a student accomodation?

    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys, just wanted to ask for an opinion of people who are already in uni. I'm an international student, and I'm going off to university next year, either one in London or Oxford. It seemed natural to me that I was going to live in a flat on my own, but one of my friends who studied in one of London unis said that you will be better off to live in an accommodation for the first year, so you get to know people and that if you live on your own from the first year you will barely know anyone at your uni.
    Is this true? Did anyone live on their own and experienced anything like it? Isn't it better for your study to live in a flat, as you won't get so easily distracted? I would appreciate any experiences or opinions shared. :angelwings:

    it's definitely going to be easier to study in a flat by yourself, halls are notoriously loud and disruptive - but it's also going to be lonelier, especially if you're an international student it could already be harder to make friends, being isolated and unhappy also wouldn't help you study

    I don't know where you're from and what you want but some middle ground could be private halls, international specific halls or joining a flatshare with other students - all these would help you meet more people without being quite as loud and crazy as a normal first eyar hall
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What social media "stories" do you use?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.