textbooks?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I am in Year 10, and still do not have textbooks. For sciences they said there will be online, but for Maths, English Lang, English Lit, we don'y know anything.

Do you have already? What we can use to study?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_queen)
    I am in Year 10, and still do not have textbooks. For sciences they said there will be online, but for Maths, English Lang, English Lit, we don'y know anything.

Thanks!
    Which exam board are you with? You may be able to.. worst comes to worst, buy textbooks or revision guides.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and we don't have textbooks for subjects like English or RS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I'm in year 11 and we don't have textbooks for subjects like English or RS
    Yeah but you don't need textbooks for english or r.s (I never used one) because unlike science subjects you don't need to understand key facts.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Love your profile pic!

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    You really don't need textbooks for english lang or lit- just practice writing skills and analytical skills. Textbooks for these subjects will be a waste of money. You don't necessarily need one for maths either- there are loads of great videos online like corbett maths and hegarty maths- and the main thing for maths is PAST PAPERS! What options do you take? (I might be able to recommend some textbooks...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    You really don't need textbooks for english lang or lit- just practice writing skills and analytical skills. Textbooks for these subjects will be a waste of money. You don't necessarily need one for maths either- there are loads of great videos online like corbett maths and hegarty maths- and the main thing for maths is PAST PAPERS! What options do you take? (I might be able to recommend some textbooks...)
    Thank you!

We have Edexcel International GCSE for Maths, Edexcel for English and AQA or Edexcel for sciences (they didn't tell us yet!).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

We have Edexcel International GCSE for Maths, Edexcel for English and AQA or Edexcel for sciences (they didn't tell us yet!).
    Sorry I mean your gcse options for instance business studies or computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Sorry I mean your gcse options for instance business studies or computing?
    Ooooohh, computer science and economics

ReputationRep:
    Ooooohh, computer science and economics
    What exam board for computing?

Textbooks make things more efficient and your life easier, thereby contributing to better grades. All or a considerable amount of good information in one place and tailored to the exam you will be sitting. Crazy bot to use textbooks if good ones exist.

ReputationRep:
    A mixture of people on the year ten thread some if who use textbooks and others who don't, have a chat with us http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4275172

ReputationRep:
    Update: still do not have any textbooks. They continue to say we will have an online link for them but nothing changed. And they do not teach us all the content so we can not complete our study. What to do, where to ask for help?

I need: Chemistry, Biology, Physics AQA, Maths Edexcel IGCSE, Computer Science AQA. These boards changed the grading system and the content but no books available. Please help, I dont want to fail!

Update: still do not have any textbooks. They continue to say we will have an online link for them but nothing changed. And they do not teach us all the content so we can not complete our study. What to do, where to ask for help?

I need: Chemistry, Biology, Physics AQA, Maths Edexcel IGCSE, Computer Science AQA. These boards changed the grading system and the content but no books available. Please help, I dont want to fail!
    1. I would make a complaint in writing to the headmaster. Its not acceptable. If that gets ignored then it would be to the board of governors.

2. I would buy my own anyway. Its not an excuse, but I would be bothered in looking after myself first.

ReputationRep:
    try this text for mathematics

http://www118.zippyshare.com/v/QvYr0f2E/file.html

HELM - Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics - is a major 3-year curriculum development project to support the mathematical education of engineering students. The project is sponsored by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) through phase 4 of the Fund for the Development for Teaching and Learning (FDTL4)

http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/jav/...workbooks.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1. I would make a complaint in writing to the headmaster. Its not acceptable. If that gets ignored then it would be to the board of governors.

2. I would buy my own anyway. Its not an excuse, but I would be bothered in looking after myself first.
    I would buy too, but I dont know which books to buy. It seems, that the new 9-1 GCSE books are not available in stores yet. Btw, my school is overseas. I have seen online the new books, there are three models and I dont know which we need it. What do you use for these boards? Give me a photo if you can, please,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123teddy)
    try this text for mathematics

http://www118.zippyshare.com/v/QvYr0f2E/file.html

HELM - Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics - is a major 3-year curriculum development project to support the mathematical education of engineering students. The project is sponsored by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) through phase 4 of the Fund for the Development for Teaching and Learning (FDTL4)

http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/jav/...workbooks.html
    Thank you, I will have a look.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    CGP is really good, not sure if they have present specification but still, they range from different exam boards, qualifications and subjects. A lot of people under-estimate them because of their use of colours and fonts, however it has helped me achieve A/A*'s in several subjects.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.