help!Two questions from australian math competition(senior)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
viva0yue999
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
1.For each vertex of a cube,a plane is constructed through the three vertices which are neighbours of that vertex.Into how many parts do these eight planes dissect the cube?
a)9 b)13 c)21 d)27 e)24

2. A 3*3 square is divided up into nine 1*1 unit squares. Different integers from 1 to 9 are written in these 9 unit squares. For each two squares sharing a common edge, the sum of the integers in them are calculated. The minimum possible number of different sums is
a)3 b)4 c)5 d)6 e)7

3.When the interger is divided by 23,the remainder is 11,when divided by 24,the remainder is 12 and when divided by 25,the remainder is 13.What is this integer?(I cannot remember the exact numbers in this question,but just want to know the rough idea to tackle this question).

Thank you~
beauford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viva0yue999)
1.For each vertex of a cube,a plane is constructed through the three vertices which are neighbours of that vertex.Into how many parts do these eight planes dissect the cube?
a)9 b)13 c)21 d)27 e)24

2. A 3*3 square is divided up into nine 1*1 unit squares. Different integers from 1 to 9 are written in these 9 unit squares. For each two squares sharing a common edge, the sum of the integers in them are calculated. The minimum possible number of different sums is
a)3 b)4 c)5 d)6 e)7

3.When the interger is divided by 23,the remainder is 11,when divided by 24,the remainder is 12 and when divided by 25,the remainder is 13.What is this integer?(I cannot remember the exact numbers in this question,but just want to know the rough idea to tackle this question).

Thank you~
To tackel 3, note that 23,24 and 25 are coprime.
JamesF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For 3, add 12 to that number first of all.
beauford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by viva0yue999)
a)3 b)4 c)5 d)6 e)7

Thank you~
I believe (although I may be wrong) that this is 6. It's trivial to show that it's at least 4, i can't prove it for 6 yet.
JamesF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by beauford)
I believe (although I may be wrong) that this is 6. It's trivial to show that it's at least 4, i can't prove it for 6 yet.
What i'm trying now, is that if there is 6, then there are 8 sums which have only 2 different values, so 2 different numbers must be able to be made in 4 ways, and this can put a bound on the sum, because small numbers can only be made in a few different ways.
Wagamuffin
Report 15 years ago
I think we would need the proper figures for question 3, because it states that we are looking for an integer, and with random numbers used to define criteria it probably wouldn't work out.
beauford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Wagamuffin)
I think we would need the proper figures for question 3, because it states that we are looking for an integer, and with random numbers used to define criteria it probably wouldn't work out.
There are infinite solutions, you'd just need to see which one fitted the criteria
viva0yue999
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
any solutions?
JamesF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
3. x+12 = 23*24*25*a for any integer a, the smallest solution is therefore when a = 1, so the smallest solution is 13788. There are infinite solutions of the form 13788 + 13800k for any integer k.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (65)
52%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
11.2%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (33)
26.4%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.4%

Watched Threads