Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in my second year of nursing at university and I really cannot stand ward work. Lots of people talk about their "calling" to be a nurse, but I have never felt like this, although I cant think of anything else I would do, except becoming a paramedic, which keeps playing on my mind lately. I really don't want to change course since I'm quite close to graduating. The idea of working in emergency care or on the frontline is one I am interested in and I like A&E. However, I know nursing has a lot more opportunities and areas for progression, as well as specialities. I have enjoyed every nursing placement I have had so far, except ward work. I really cannot stand it, it makes me dread going to placement and also makes me doubt as to whether nursing is right for me as I hate surgical and medical wards and fear I am going to have to work on one when I finish. I want to do a MSc or MRes maybe in this https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-...ce-ft-dtpacl6/ (I dont currently attend this uni but it looks interesting, however I dunno if it could lead to a nurse practitioner in A&E? or an ECP which is ideally what I'd like to do) or maybe even a MSc in cancer, cardiac care, public health or neurology. I know that experience is required a lot of the time but I would prefer to not work first before completing a Masters. I'm really stuck as ward work has put me off so much, I dont mind how tiring it is, but I find it really uninteresting and find clinics, walk in centres, doctors surgeries and probably if I had the chance working on an ambulance very interesting. PLEASE HELP.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered joining the army?
    They have nurses on the front line which could be similar to a&e in a way but avoiding a ward.
    There are so many options in nursing and a ward does not have to be where you end up.
    I hate wars work, but as I do learning disability nursing I've only ever been on 2 wards. I've been elsewhere for all my placements (I've had 6 so far).
    It all depends on where you want to be.
    A nurse practitioner requires experience in the area you're working in and then working towards such a qualification.
    Just have a look and a think of where you may end up or want to be....
    And you've stated there are numerous opportunities for nursing. Not just on the wards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    Have you considered joining the army?
    They have nurses on the front line which could be similar to a&e in a way but avoiding a ward.
    There are so many options in nursing and a ward does not have to be where you end up.
    I hate wars work, but as I do learning disability nursing I've only ever been on 2 wards. I've been elsewhere for all my placements (I've had 6 so far).
    It all depends on where you want to be.
    A nurse practitioner requires experience in the area you're working in and then working towards such a qualification.
    Just have a look and a think of where you may end up or want to be....
    And you've stated there are numerous opportunities for nursing. Not just on the wards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I looked into that, it said they would be offering you a 12-year job.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there a nurse for three years now and totally hated every ward placement I had Lol I only like mad a and e and theatre and also GP surgery. Some years aren't ward nurses just as ward nurses often hate a and e we come in different breeds nurses lol wouldn't worry about it you can pick your own area soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some nurses I mean!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.