If you got worse than you were expecting, how are you going to tell your parents? Watch

Epitomessence
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
That's actually my biggest worry; I've already told myself that I won't be doing very well and I've almost accepted it. I just don't want to let my parents down, however.

What's the best way to tell them?
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
out right. dont beat around the bush just tell them. and tell them how you feel about it so hopefully they wont go on and on about it
Epitomessence
Rep:
?
(Original post by dh00001)
out right. dont beat around the bush just tell them. and tell them how you feel about it so hopefully they wont go on and on about it
OK. I really did try my best, and all the way through the year, I was making As! So should I also say that I buckled under pressure? That sounds like such an excuse!
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
nah you dont need to try and justify it. its just one of those things. im sure you will have done fine
Karvel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I wish my parents would use the conditional at least once when talking about university instead of constantly going "So when you go to university in september, you need to..."

Urgh.
Epitomessence
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karvel)
I wish my parents would use the conditional at least once when talking about university instead of constantly going "So when you go to university in september, you need to..."

Urgh.
I know what you mean, my dad was all, "When you get into LSE..." LSE???!!!!!!!! No way am I going to be able to make it into there!!!
crankycaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, my mum will be there with me when I open my results, and it's always been like that. My dad will get told via text as he'll be working probably, and I always just tell him the grades and leave it at that. It's not like he knows what any of it means! Honestly, if I miss my firm choice (Durham), I'm just gonna text him and say 'Wahey I got into Leeds!' Leeds is my insurance but he'll assume it's good and it was my firm because I put 'wahey'. :p:

My parents have always been fine with it really.
thejester
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I don't get the grades for my first choice my Mum will make out like I did it just to spite her!
crankycaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow, you guys don't have very forgiving parents...surely if you've worked as hard as you can then they'll be happy for you?
sugar_cane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know exactly what you mean!!! I'm predicted all As and frankly I should get them...because my work in the year has proved that...
But as far as I'm concerned...I know/am pretty sure that I've slipped up on a few exams meaning that I'm likely to get a B in 2 of my subjects...
and it's really scary because they expect me to do well...and everyone expects me to do well...even worse...I expect myself to do well and I know it'll be harsh if I don't get my predicted grades.
It's quite funny, I'm thinking of applying to the LSE and my parents...without realising what they are doing tell all their friends that I hoping to get into the LSE and they all think that my parents are slightly crazy because the LSE is so good (especially for economics)!

@crankycaz: my parents are forgiving, it's just that they know that I can get all As...and if I don't it'll mean that I have slacked and not achieved what I can...(I don't mean to sound completely obssessive/crazy:p:)
MathematicalMind
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i just keep preparing my dad for the worst, then if i actually do well he will be happy and if not i can say 'don't say i didn't warn you' hehe
</gibberish>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you do terribly, reseal the envelope and send it to yourself (telling your parents they sent them in the post this year). That gives you a good 2 days to bring their expectations down
mc4263
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My Mum and Dad always say as long as you've tried your best we can't ask for anything more and are always proud even if i do really badly. The only thing is I'm more harsh on myself and ask more so i get disappointed in myself if i don't get what i wanted.

(Original post by Karvel)

Urgh.
thing is though if your parents said ' if you get into university in september' you'd probably be like 'what do you mean if' and think they didn't believe in you.

i think parents say 'when you go to uni' to try and boost your confidence especially in august when your stressed about results
crankycaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I know what you mean ergo...I'm kind of in the same situation with Physics I reckon. I could have gotten an A I think, but I really bombed in the synoptic paper, so I think it'll be a B. But I'd already told my parents after the exam that it might have cost me the A. If my dad makes the 'Why did you get a B?' 'joke' about physics if I do get a B, I'll whack him one because it'll really annoy me, lol.
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd jump off a cliff...im sure they'll guess why

ok now seriously...i'd just tell them...sure they'd keep going on about it for ages, but you cant exactly hide these things lol
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The only way is to tell them right out that you didn’t do as well as you could have. Sure, they will be upset and disappointed (for you), but so will you; and it’s more letting yourself down than letting them down.

I think you’re thinking about it too much and looking at it from the wrong angle; your parents only want the best for you and want you to be happy, so while they will be disappointed for you, they will be fine as long as you’re happy with your Insurance choice.
sugar_cane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I won't find it difficult telling them, and they won't hate me for it, but I'd be so disappointed afterwards that I'd let them down. I'd let myself down etc.
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just. Tell. Them.

I actually want to disappoint my parents in a sense; sucks to them for putting so much pressure on me by saying 'You'll get 4 As' on every exam mention.
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Jesus, you all have harsh parents.

My parents wouldn't particularly care...well, I guess they'd care, but they would never try and make me feel guilty or make out that I'd disappointed them. It's my choice to put the effort in or not, it's not really anything to do with them...
yellow96
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My parents can **** off. They're not allowed to be disappointed; it is my future after all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (52)
74.29%
Leave (18)
25.71%

Watched Threads