Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my step-mum used to suffer depression, and my cousin has an eating disorder, I was wondering if this is something I should state in my personal statement as it has been what sparked my initial interest in psychology? Will admissions see it as a negative thing or understand that through this I have become invested in psychology?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca99xx)
    So my step-mum used to suffer depression, and my cousin has an eating disorder, I was wondering if this is something I should state in my personal statement as it has been what sparked my initial interest in psychology? Will admissions see it as a negative thing or understand that through this I have become invested in psychology?
    It depends how you phrase it. If you can phrase it in a way that shows this sparked your interest, that's fine. But if you say it in a way that comes across as just wanting leniency for your sob story, that's not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It depends how you phrase it. If you can phrase it in a way that shows this sparked your interest, that's fine. But if you say it in a way that comes across as just wanting leniency for your sob story, that's not a good idea.
    No i have literally stated how that initially interested me in the subject and made me want to continue studying it. I haven't gone into loads of details to avoid it sounding like a sob story?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca99xx)
    I agree with the other poster, you could just generically phrase it like "witnessing manifestations of mental illness..."

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can, and should, state that this sparked your interest. It's not a negative thing to state at all. You may have experiences and a level of understanding that other applicants may not have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.