This discussion is closed.
Dil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I broke my old, faithful Nokia 8210 the other week and now need a new phone. I am on T-Mobile pay as you go and like the look of the Sony Ericsson T610. I want to keep my old number and therefore dont want to change sim-cards and so i have to stay on T-Mobile.

If I buy it on T-mobile it costs me ~£150 but if i get it on orange i can get it for ~£110 -----------> http://www.directprepayphones.co.uk/...a&filter_id=59

So is it possible to buy the mobile on orange and then just bung in my T-Mobile sim-card. Would it still work? cos that would save me £40!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
you would probably need the phone reprogrammed.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
I broke my old, faithful Nokia 8210 the other week and now need a new phone. I am on T-Mobile pay as you go and like the look of the Sony Ericsson T610. I want to keep my old number and therefore dont want to change sim-cards and so i have to stay on T-Mobile.

If I buy it on T-mobile it costs me ~£150 but if i get it on orange i can get it for ~£110 -----------> http://www.directprepayphones.co.uk/...a&filter_id=59

So is it possible to buy the mobile on orange and then just bung in my T-Mobile sim-card. Would it still work? cos that would save me £40!
You could get the phone unlocked for about £10-£20 depending on where you go, doing this however voids the warrenty, and Orange are notorius for placing their logo/comapny branding on their phones, apart from this your fine.
Dil
Rep:
?
Ok thanks guys. I don't really care about the logo thing or the warranty... so I need to get my phone unlocked first? Where can I get that done?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, if you get a Nokia phone, I know someone on this other forum who provides free unlocking codes.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
i often see lots of shops offering to unlock phones..

my brother has that phone from orange-it is really good
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dil)

I have the sony ericsson T610. Its a good phone, has it has a big colour screen, a camera and polyphonic ringtones.

But the bad pointers are - texting is slow due to the keypad and it doesnt have alot of memory. Also you cant use the camera to zoom.
AngelofnoColour
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You can get any fone chipped from some dodgy place for about a tenner, and then you can use all network sims
Dil
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueAngel)
You can get any fone chipped from some dodgy place for about a tenner, and then you can use all network sims
Ah cunning, thanks for your help everyone
Hawk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've got a similar problem. I bought a new Nokia phone, which it says is unlocked to all networks, but neither my O2 or Tesco Mobile sim cards work in it. Anyone know anything about this?
rockindemon
Report 15 years ago
does anyone no whether or not all sim cards work for a phone purchased on contract?
dinkymints
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Isn't there some code you can get off the net for free which unlocks phones? I know someone who did that....
[_Z_]
Report 15 years ago
tons of sites offering unlocking codes........... what do u mean by 'unlocking 'ur phone??
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (58)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (64)
21.26%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.27%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (64)
21.26%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (29)
9.63%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
9.3%

Watched Threads