The Student Room Group

Mobile Phone Question

I broke my old, faithful Nokia 8210 the other week and now need a new phone. I am on T-Mobile pay as you go and like the look of the Sony Ericsson T610. I want to keep my old number and therefore dont want to change sim-cards and so i have to stay on T-Mobile.

If I buy it on T-mobile it costs me ~£150 but if i get it on orange i can get it for ~£110 -----------> http://www.directprepayphones.co.uk/default.php?manufacturers_id=13&sort=2a&filter_id=59

So is it possible to buy the mobile on orange and then just bung in my T-Mobile sim-card. Would it still work? cos that would save me £40!
Reply 1
you would probably need the phone reprogrammed.
Reply 2
Dil
I broke my old, faithful Nokia 8210 the other week and now need a new phone. I am on T-Mobile pay as you go and like the look of the Sony Ericsson T610. I want to keep my old number and therefore dont want to change sim-cards and so i have to stay on T-Mobile.

If I buy it on T-mobile it costs me ~£150 but if i get it on orange i can get it for ~£110 -----------> http://www.directprepayphones.co.uk/default.php?manufacturers_id=13&sort=2a&filter_id=59

So is it possible to buy the mobile on orange and then just bung in my T-Mobile sim-card. Would it still work? cos that would save me £40!

You could get the phone unlocked for about £10-£20 depending on where you go, doing this however voids the warrenty, and Orange are notorius for placing their logo/comapny branding on their phones, apart from this your fine.
Reply 3
Dil
OP
Ok thanks guys. I don't really care about the logo thing or the warranty... so I need to get my phone unlocked first? Where can I get that done? :redface:
Well, if you get a Nokia phone, I know someone on this other forum who provides free unlocking codes.
i often see lots of shops offering to unlock phones..

my brother has that phone from orange-it is really good
Dil

I have the sony ericsson T610. Its a good phone, has it has a big colour screen, a camera and polyphonic ringtones.

But the bad pointers are - texting is slow due to the keypad and it doesnt have alot of memory. Also you cant use the camera to zoom.
You can get any fone chipped from some dodgy place for about a tenner, and then you can use all network sims :smile:
Reply 8
Dil
OP
BlueAngel
You can get any fone chipped from some dodgy place for about a tenner, and then you can use all network sims :smile:

Ah cunning, thanks for your help everyone
Reply 9
I've got a similar problem. I bought a new Nokia phone, which it says is unlocked to all networks, but neither my O2 or Tesco Mobile sim cards work in it. Anyone know anything about this?
does anyone no whether or not all sim cards work for a phone purchased on contract?
Isn't there some code you can get off the net for free which unlocks phones? I know someone who did that....
Reply 12
tons of sites offering unlocking codes........... what do u mean by 'unlocking 'ur phone??

Latest

Trending

Trending