Advice on my subjects?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 3rd week of the IB course now and I'm having mixed thoughts on the usefulness of my current subjects.

At Higher, I am doing:
    - Music
    - CompSci
    - Economics

At Standard, I am doing:
    - Maths
    - English Lit
    - Spanish

I'm hoping to go to Computing (preferably Oxbridge) course and I'm wondering if I would need Higher Maths in order to achieve that? If so would that lead to me dropping Music for it? Advice is gladly encouraged

ReputationRep:
    To stand a good chance of getting on a competitive computing course, you really need to be doing further maths. So your maths really needs to be one of your top priorities. I would drop the music as it will not help you with your goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    To stand a good chance of getting on a competitive computing course, you really need to be doing further maths. So your maths really needs to be one of your top priorities. I would drop the music as it will not help you with your goal.
    Well said, I'll think about it

ReputationRep:
    I would look at some of the unis requirements however if you are not going to receive a good score in math, it may ruin your IB grade and stop you from getting into good unis for other courses. I just looked at st andrews rquirments for computer science and they don't specify math HL anywhere but you may need to email them for confirmation of this. If you are very good in math take math HL. But oxbridge would expect you to get a lvl 7 and as other members have said you may need to do further mathematics (not all schools offer this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Gee)
    I would look at some of the unis requirements however if you are not going to receive a good score in math, it may ruin your IB grade and stop you from getting into good unis for other courses. I just looked at st andrews rquirments for computer science and they don't specify math HL anywhere but you may need to email them for confirmation of this. If you are very good in math take math HL. But oxbridge would expect you to get a lvl 7 and as other members have said you may need to do further mathematics (not all schools offer this).
    St andrews is supposedly ranked 3rd for 2017

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.