Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I've found these people to be mainly kids or people who don't know any better. Anyone with half a brain would realise how daft they look.
    Hehe, exactly. Sadly, it takes a while for some to realise...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    well, it was implied, but i doubted you actually meant that.
    As I say I don't see were - I was responding to initial comments about BRITISH people pretending or trying to be more AMERICAN - ie BRITISH people faking american mannerisms/speech...unless you infer from that that I meant that British people were trying to be more "fake" to be like americans.

an example,to which you refer here, was used to see it from a British perspective. i was referring to the initial implication that piginapoke also pointed out, "Would that sort of thing be irritating because it would be like doing down their own nationality (yours) in favour of another, thus making out you and your nationality to be somehow inferior? I'm fishing here, but its the only rationalisation I can think of."
    Again as I say referring to "your nationality [ie my nationality - BRITISH] in favour of another thus making out you and your [British] nationality to be somehow inferior" - like I say I fail to see how you came to the assumption that that is implying that america is inferior?

ReputationRep:
    colour-color

ReputationRep:
    or favour-favor

ReputationRep:
    And last

favourite favorite

Can't they just put in the U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    And last

favourite favorite

they're too lazy its why they all turn out fat
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    And last

favourite favorite

You find that annoying?

They tried to simplify spelling rules by removing obsolete vowels and consonents (do you actually pronounce the u in colour?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    As I say I don't see were - I was responding to initial comments about BRITISH people pretending or trying to be more AMERICAN - ie BRITISH people faking american mannerisms/speech...unless you infer from that that I meant that British people were trying to be more "fake" to be like americans.
    "it would be irritating in the same sort of way as if your friends/people around you..trying to be/pretending to be/acting like something they're not"

the comparison would imply that americans are in some way, acting like something theyre not. i know u didnt mean that,but it is implied.

Again as I say referring to "your nationality [ie my nationality - BRITISH] in favour of another thus making out you and your [British] nationality to be somehow inferior" - like I say I fail to see how you came to the assumption that that is implying that america is inferior?
    that was an example demonstrating a possible similarity of circumstance. from that i warned that a similar deduction within the original scenario would be anti-american.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    "it would be irritating in the same sort of way as if your friends/people around you..trying to be/pretending to be/acting like something they're not"

the comparison would imply that americans are in some way, acting like something theyre not. i know u didnt mean that,but it is implied.
    Ahhh I understand - you didn't see/understand my use of the word if

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh I understand - you didn't see/understand my use of the word if
    erm, no i did. ill reduce it. "it is irritating, as if all your friends were ali g fans and were trying to be something theyre are not". you would imply the action was irritating because of its obvious 'fakeness'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    erm, no i did.
    Surely if I was implying that americans are fake and that the situation as was describing was "real" I wouldn't have said "as if" I would have used the word "when"?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    erm, no i did. ill reduce it. "it is irritating, as if all your friends were ali g fans and were trying to be something theyre are not". you would imply the action was irritating because of its obvious 'fakeness'.
    yes -

that was my point - repeated throughout the thread, it wasn't the words that people found annoying but the behavior - people trying to be something they're not is annoying to be around.

I still fail to understand how you took that meaning away and still came to the conclusion that I was implying that "americans are fake" when you clearly understood that I was saying "EVEN americans would be annoying IF they were fake"

ReputationRep:
    aluminum / aluminium
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by elpaw)
    aluminum / aluminium
    yup - that one annoys me too, even though I know it's completely irrational (the Brits changed the original name make it sound more like the other elements)

It's like people who pronounce UCAS as uck-ass instead of you-cass...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    aluminum / aluminium
    was it you who neg repped me? i'm sorry for being pedantic i've just lived in three countries and get annoyed with all the misconceptions people have about the rest of the world. Shall we bury the hatchett?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    was it you who neg repped me? i'm sorry for being pedantic i've just lived in three countries and get annoyed with all the misconceptions people have about the rest of the world. Shall we bury the hatchett?!
    no, i didnt rep you.

PQ - i heard the story was that it was always called aluminium, but a company in america made a typo in all their products, dropping an i, and everyone followed suit.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by elpaw)
    no, i didnt rep you.

PQ - i heard the story was that it was always called aluminium, but a company in america made a typo in all their products, dropping an i, and everyone followed suit.
    Nope - it's in my book (have looked round for it but it must be at the inlaws), the discoverer named it aluminum but the brits didn't like it so put in the i so it sounded like all the other elements (well not all of them but you get my gist).

ReputationRep:
    oooh, i have an annoying americanism (although it may be restricted to southern ghetto rappers)...

herrrr ----> here
    scerrrrrd--->scared
    upsterrrrrrs---> upstairs

the list goes on!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by grace)
    oooh, i have an annoying americanism (although it may be restricted to southern ghetto rappers)...

herrrr ----> here
    scerrrrrd--->scared
    upsterrrrrrs---> upstairs

the list goes on!
    one that winds me up (and some people here in the UK do it to)

Axed instead of Asked :mad:

ReputationRep:
    one that winds me up (and some people here in the UK do it to)

Axed instead of Asked :mad:

oh, don't even get me started on english-isms....

fink (think)

summing (something)

dropping of the 't's, substitution of 'r's for 'w's...

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.