Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying american terminology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    My friend went to the US and every time he said "How are ya going?" to someone (as in greeting for those playing at home) they would look at him wierdly and say "by car..."

Hilarious!
    I would find it weird too. Who says "How are you going?"? Aussies?

"How's it going", "How are you doing" or "How you doin" ok but "How are you going"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    they're too lazy its why they all turn out fat
    That was probably the stupidest thing i have ever heard. I dont understand, it seems some of you, (and you know who you are) cant accept that different countries spell that same word differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    That was probably the stupidest thing i have ever heard. I dont understand, it seems some of you, (and you know who you are) cant accept that different countries spell that same word differently.
    Yep. We still wish you'd pledge allegiance to the queen and would return to colony status so we could correct the errors of history...

Of course, British people are jealous of the USA. But we're probably the country that accepts US supremacy the most: few people see anything wrong about the US being the first power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Yep. We still wish you'd pledge allegiance to the queen and would return to colony status so we could correct the errors of history...

Of course, British people are jealous of the USA. But we're probably the country that accepts US supremacy the most: few people see anything wrong about the US being the first power.
    true

ReputationRep:
    My friend went to the US and every time he said "How are ya going?" to someone (as in greeting for those playing at home) they would look at him wierdly and say "by car..."

Hilarious!
    ?
    It's "How's it going" as in "What's up" or "Sup". If some one asked me "How are ya going?" I would say "by car..." too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    -the idiots among the people in the debate forum or the idiots of the debate forum?
    -discussions?
    -it was a poll where a third of the votes expressed "hate" of americans.
    That doesn't mean it's 1/3 of the forum, it's 1/3 of those who voted. Sorry if this has been mentioned before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    That doesn't mean it's 1/3 of the forum, it's 1/3 of those who voted. Sorry if this has been mentioned before
    I actually find it quite shocking 1/3 of the people who voted can hate millions of people they dont know.... doesnt make much sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    I actually find it quite shocking 1/3 of the people who voted can hate millions of people they dont know.... doesnt make much sense to me.
    Really, how can you hate people you don't know? And why is it that we are so judgable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    You can't, you can only hate [or otherwise have an opinion about] your perception of a generalised idea about a person or a group of people.
    Thats the sad part, that so many people can have that kind of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it's called prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I know, it's called prejudice.
    yes, it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    hehe, which for once, was not my doing..
    Yes it was

ReputationRep:

Hilarious!
    Yeah, but Bondie is a bogan, im surprised they even could understand him.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if anyone has mentioned this but they call the 24-hour clock format, 'military time'. Very annoying when you're chatting to them and you tell them the time over here by looking at the time at the bottom right of your screen (in Windows XP) and they go 'why are you speaking military time?'. They obviously know what we are on about.....stupid Americans......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Dunno if anyone has mentioned this but they call the 24-hour clock format, 'military time'. Very annoying when you're chatting to them and you tell them the time over here by looking at the time at the bottom right of your screen (in Windows XP) and they go 'why are you speaking military time?'. They obviously know what we are on about.....stupid Americans......
    I think it's a bit of a reference to the military, it's definitely not the official name.

I always hated the way they call the front passenger seat "the shotgun" because in a drive-by shooting, the guy with a shot gun would be seated there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penthesilia)
    Yeah, but Bondie is a bogan, im surprised they even could understand him.
    oh, yeah thats true. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're right. People imagine Americans to be a homogenous people. Yet, you take a New Englander like yourself and a Texan, and they seem like they're from different countries.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.