Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Annoying american terminology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    now i know why 1/3rd of the forum "hates" americans.
    1/3 of the forum dont "hate" americans, its just those idiots in the debate forum putting across pointless discussions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yes the official name for it is American English but I have seen Americans online and on TV calling it American! Just like the English we speak is British English. There is no "pure" English anymore.

http://www.yuksrus.com/dumblaws.html <--- These are funny, though I don't know how reliable they are in terms of current existence, or ever existing

Example: Illinois: According to state law, it is illegal to speak English.
    The officially recognized language is "American".
    haha those are real funny if they're real!

ReputationRep:
    "hella" can get pretty annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Just read this in an article from another thread:

Three people -- believed to be to part of the same family -- slipped and fell on steps forming part of the monument Thursday.
    Grrrrrrr. ON Thursday.

When I was waiting for the ferry from France there was a big group of American teenagers filling out their immigration cards and every single one, without fail, wrote their date of birth the wrong way round despite explicit instructions (day, month, year) on the card itself. Half of them also wrote their nationality as "USA". They got through 200 cards for 45 students and it took them three hours. hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    i think the term US English is remarkably respectful. They recognise its roots yet highlight the fact that there will be differences in spelling and vocabulary. To call it English would be less accurate, to call it American would be equally so.
    All I said was that I dislike that there is US English but not British English, or Australian English, or whatever other variety. There isn't even a debate here I'm not sure why you are looking for one.

now i know why 1/3rd of the forum "hates" americans.
    Quite.

tell me how many Brits refer to our language as British English and you can make your point.
    I don't think I have the necessary statistics to answer this question I'm afraid Vienna. The fact remains that in Britain British English is spoken and in the USA American English is spoken and I feel that these professional and international applications should either not differentiate these varieties of English at all (i.e. just give the option of "English") or cater for each variety individually. That is MY opinion and to suggest that having such an opinion makes me a "hater" of Americans is tenuous logic to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the way we're all buddies or pals with the americans peoples like "hey buddy, you got the time?" grr

ReputationRep:
    The thing that really annoys me about North Americans is that they swear so much! Most of the time it is not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    The thing that really annoys me about North Americans is that they swear so much! Most of the time it is not necessary.
    Are you serious? We swear far more than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revelation)
    I hate the way we're all buddies or pals with the americans peoples like "hey buddy, you got the time?" grr
    Don't people do that here with the word "mate"??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    All I said was that I dislike that there is US English but not British English, or Australian English, or whatever other variety. There isn't even a debate here I'm not sure why you are looking for one.
    sorry for having an opinion. ill ask your permission next time, gimp.

Quite.
    indeed.

I don't think I have the necessary statistics to answer this question I'm afraid Vienna.
    oh.

The fact remains that in Britain British English is spoken and in the USA American English is spoken and I feel that these professional and international applications should either not differentiate these varieties of English at all (i.e. just give the option of "English") or cater for each variety individually.
    which, from what youve mentioned, (US English software, outlining American as opposed to English which the americans see as being, by default British) seems to be the case, and is contradictory to your gripe here...

"I dislike that when installing software the only option nowadays is "U.S. English". I doubt it will be long before they just call it American (which some do already) and we're forgotten about entirely!"

That is MY opinion
    strange, by your logic you were looking for a debate, no? or is it just selective as to who is allowed one?

and to suggest that having such an opinion makes me a "hater" of Americans is tenuous logic to say the least.
    id check out the rest of the thread, and then find the relevance in this little snippit "anyway, it's not like they have much history of their own!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Are you serious? We swear far more than them.

no way, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    no way, seriously.
    Well all the Americans I've ever met have been really "clean" in their language. I've always had to watch my mouth so as not to cause offense.

ReputationRep:

"
    :eek: really??!!

ReputationRep:
    You were telling me my opinion was wrong. In a discussion about things that one personally finds irritating, how can it be debated? It can't!

which from what youve mentioned, US English software, outlining American as opposed to English(which the americans see as being, by default,) seems to be the case, and is contradictory to your gripe here, "I dislike that when installing software the only option nowadays is "U.S. English". I doubt it will be long before they just call it American (which some do already) and we're forgotten about entirely!"
    Not sure I follow this clumsy sentence :/

strange, by your logic you were looking for a debate, no? or is it just selective as to who is allowed one?
    No I just put forward what the thread starter asked for, before you came in questioning everything and looking for an argument, as you always do

id check out the rest of the thread, and then find the relevance in this little snippit "anyway, it's not like they have much history of their own!"
    I fail to see how my admission that the USA is a relatively young nation makes me anti-American. Or perhaps there are centuries of North American history that have passed me by?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Well all the Americans I've ever met have been really "clean" in their language. I've always had to watch my mouth so as not to cause offense.

I was sitting in the cinema the other day, and was watching I, Robot...like the least offensive film and these two people sitting either side of me where swearing their heads off the whole time! I was like WOW...my cousin uses the F-word like it means nothing, and her parents dont even take any offence whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I was sitting in the cinema the other day, and was watching I, Robot...like the least offensive film and these two people sitting either side of me where swearing their heads off the whole time! I was like WOW...my cousin uses the F-word like it means nothing, and her parents dont even take any offence whatsoever.
    I've just realised that I used the American spelling of offence. This thread is warping my mind.

Anyway, most people I know swear like that as well. It's not an American thing.

ReputationRep:
    i think the term US English is remarkably respectful. They recognise its roots yet highlight the fact that there will be differences in spelling and vocabulary. To call it English would be less accurate, to call it American would be equally so.
    I agree. I think sometimes people find their differences annoying because sometimes you can have misunderstandings purely on that basis. I have a few times with someone from California and another from New York. But you can also ask politely to check what they mean.

With USA being such a large and diverse country we will have these differences. I'm not too sure how many people realise the Scottish words either like jo meaning a loved one (I think). So Americans aren't the only people doing it.

But this problem is not only for people outside USA. You can get problems with two Americans from different parts of the country. If I remember correctly coke (as in Coca-Cola) has different meanings in various places and so does soda.

I, myself, have never referred to English as British, mainly because of many dialects where words come from Scotland and Wales which appear in the English language. And it can be argued that English isn't as English as people make out because we have words from other languages naturalised in our own such as kayak, pyjamas, kangaroo, even parliament.

I'm also pretty sure you have differences between certain parts of England too, just not as much because we're not as big as USA of course.

ReputationRep:
    U.S. English is becoming more and more the reference English. People refer much more often to the Webster dictionary than they used to.

European people find it more appealing to talk the English spoken by the Americans. But we can only blame ourselves for not being as powerful and influential as the Americans. Culturally, there's now more happening in the US, even British people are starting to find it more appealing to go to an American uni instead of a British one...

ReputationRep:
    i think americans are cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    You were telling me my opinion was wrong. In a discussion about things that one personally finds irritating, how can it be debated? It can't!
    where did I tell you it was wrong? its all in your imagination.

Not sure I follow this clumsy sentence :/
    when i have some time, ill edit it for your pleasure and my satisfaction.

No I just put forward what the thread starter asked for, before you came in questioning everything and looking for an argument, as you always do
    ahh, so by default, all of my opinions are arguments? hehe, anything else?

I fail to see how my admission that the USA is a relatively young nation makes me anti-American. Or perhaps there are centuries of North American history that have passed me by?
    i told you to find its relevance in that statement. my original comment referred to the number of people willing to criticise a strain of the english language for no constructive purpose. the same people, no doubt, that contributed to the "do you hate americans thread?"
    one has to ask, was it your guilty conscience?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.